So, who likes mosquitos? I'm guessing that's going to be a collective "NO!" Well, what I wouldn't trade to get the mosquitos that I was used to before I moved to Eastern MT. These things here are not the annoying little pests that buzz around and leave little bites all over you....these are seriously HUGE, blood sucking monsters that wait outside my door to attack me, and look for the smallest amount of area on my body that I did not drench in bug spray.
That's right....DRENCH.
These are the most vicious mosquitos I have EVER encountered. When I go walking I spray myself with bugspray all over. And not just the areas of skin that are exposed. These buggers will bite through your clothes as well. It can't be a light mist that you just waltz through either. When applying, you have to do back and forth, deliberate and accurate spraying all over you, or else you're doomed. At first when I started walking I would spray myself with the bugspray, go on the first half of my walk, and on the second half of my walk experience something new...the mosquitos were attacking me AGAIN!
It is now at the point where I have to bring bug spray with me on my walk, so I can re-apply it when I reach my destination 30 minutes later. It's like they track me down the second I come out my front door, and follow me until they can squeeze in somewhere that I seem to have missed, or where the bugspray has begun to wear off. My dad makes fun of me because he says usually "normal people bring a water bottle on their walk...you bring bugspray!" Well I HAVE TO, or else I get eaten alive!
So I guess this is nothing new for Eastern MT people...one trick I learned from my father-in-law...wear one of those smelly tree air freshners for your car on your head. In vanilla flavor. Apparently they don't like that. I saw him, Patrick's uncle and grandpa all wearing air freshners on their hats one day last year while working in the yard, and just thought they had fallen off of their rockers. It looked ridiculous! But, I guess it works!
Hey, don't knock it 'till you try it!




I could do entirely without insects for the rest of my life... those and rodents. Ew.
ReplyDelete