Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Friday, May 21, 2010

We're Related!

So, another facet of this small town living is that apparently you're supposed to be related to EVERYONE. Patrick and I will be out and about and see someone he knows. As we do introductions, the inevitable happens. Patrick says, "We're related. He's so-an-so's third cousin's uncle."

I kid you not. Everyone keeps track of this stuff here.

My family is fairly small, and I didn't even know my second cousins until about two years ago (love you Skidmore/Reyes-Griffin girls!), so it was pretty much beyond me how people could actually keep track of this stuff.

I also happen to stumble upon new family members I've never even heard of as I'm working. I was working at a health fair one day, was introduced to someone, only to have her say, "Oh! We're related!" I am taking a Leadership Class in Sidney (where I work) and one of the first days a guy came up to me and said, "Hey! We're related!"

Well hot dog. Big suprise there.

They usually go on to explain to me how we're related, usually through marriage of someone's dad's aunt, and they are that person's second cousin.

Bottom line-I guess I'm related to like EVERYONE in this town one way or another. It's no wonder Patrick had to move somewhere else and find someone to marry! He's related to everyone here!

I couldn't be more proud to be a random acquaintance's fourth cousin on her dad's uncle's, grandma's side of the family!

2 comments:

  1. They say we're all 50th cousins... but I am glad WE are closer cousins that that!

    ReplyDelete