Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Sunday, May 23, 2010

So, when are you gonna have kids?

Ahhh, the inevitable question that comes about .5 seconds after you say "I Do." Any of my married friends can attest to this. Doesn't matter where you go, when people ask you, "Oh, how long have you been married?" the OBVIOUS (to everyone else except for the newlywed) question that comes next is, "So, when are you gonna have kids?"

Every time I hear this question I cringe.

Even Facebook thinks I should be having kids already. To all of the single ladies out there, does facebook not post "getting married" and "find your soul mate" ads on the side of the page? Well, when you get married, facebook starts posting "you'll be the best mommy!" ads. Consider yourselves lucky in that department.

It seems like I am bombarded with this question everywhere I go. And the longer it gets after we've been married, the more people are holding their breath. Well it's no wonder...there are couples I know that got married the same year that we did, and even this past year that are already prego. Case in point-a couple got married last October. I found out about 2 weeks ago that she is already 3 months prego. Guess they weren't messin' around! People at work are also just waiting on the edge of their seats. I can say, "My foot hurts today." And my boss will reply with, "You're probably pregnant!" She's joking of course (but only to some extent I think!)

Now, I know that every couple is different and has their own opinion on when they're ready. My opinion (and this is just MY opinion) is that you should wait at least a year after being married to start even thinking about having kids. There is SO much that goes on in that first year, and your new marriage is very delicate.

Patrick and I's opinion on kids, is that we're never going to have this time in our lives where we are young, have a little extra income, and can come and go as we please! We would like to pay down our student loans a bit more, and some of our other debt before we have kids. And frankly, I'm selfish! I like sleeping in until 10:00 am on weekends and taking off on girls trips to Vegas or wherever. I'm not ready to give that up yet.

Don't get me wrong though, I love babies! Sometimes I get baby fever when I'm around them, but then I get to give them back :) Then I remind myself that we're still young, and have plenty of time. I know that several of my close girlfriends feel this way as well! In time, Patrick and I will find the perfect time to start expanding our little family. For now, it's just us and our two dogs. And that, is perfect.

3 comments:

  1. I'm on the same page as you guys!! Take it as it comes, and just enjoy your time together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Apparently a lot of people don't think that way though...I love babies! But mostly when I can give them back to whomever they belong to :)

    ReplyDelete