Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Big Freeze

Sooooo, it's time for a little update from ye old garden. First of all, the weather in Montana is so bipolar, you can never trust it for a SECOND! Two weeks ago, it was snowing all day. Yesterday it was 90 degrees.

The sad part is, that when it snowed, that night it got below freezing. That means my garden died that night :( Here are pictures of the massacre:

Sad, sad zuchinni:


My poooooor green peppers. I only ended up getting 3 of them.


And lastly, my pumpkin plants. As you can see, my pumpkins did eventually start to grow, but not very big.

Here are a few pictures from my other pumpkins that grew:



As soon as it freezes, all of the leaves pretty much get all soggy looking and limp. This is the end of the road for my garden :(

In the beginning I planted Corn, zucchni, peas, green beans, cucumber, cantaloupe, green peppers, carrots, broccoli, and pumpkins. What I got out of the garden was: about 30 ears of corn, 6 zucchini, LOTS of peas, a handful of green beans, 3 green peppers, no cucumber, no cantaloupe, LOTS of carrots, no broccoli, and five very small and very green pumpkins.

Conclusion: The hail storm back in June took out a few things and set back the rest of my plants. I would have had about 100 ears of corn if it was given longer to grow, as well as about 20 green peppers. My zucchini plants were too big and I had to cut them back so they would actually produce. Same with the pumpkins. The peas and carrots ROCKED! The bugs took out my broccoli.

Sooooo, I have a lot of thinking to do for next year. But overall, for the first year of my garden being so big I think I did ok! I can't wait for next year to fix/change some things, and grow different stuff!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment