One of the things I have never had problems with whenever I moved to a new place was making friends. In 4th grade when my family moved from LA to Corvallis (Montana, not Oregon), I made friends over swing sets and sandboxes. In college I made friends over, well, let's face it, beer pong tables and schwag food (a.k.a. the cafeteria). I was in a sorority, which means that I could smile endlessly, carry a great conversation with you and be your new BFF with the snap of my fingers. Moving to Idaho the Mormons made friends with me because they thought I would convert to their religion. Actually I just wanted to yell, "MY FIANCEE AND I ARE LIVING TOGETHER AND WE'RE NOT MARRIED!" just to get a reaction from them :) We actually recruited friends from Montana to move to Idaho, and also made friends with a girl from New York. We actually only had one friend who was from Idaho that was normal-yeaaaaahhhh Shayner!
So one would think with my track record of easily making friend and being the awesome sorority member I was, I would do alright when we moved to Eastern MT, right? WRONG! People here already have their groups of friends, and it's really hard to break into that. They're friendly to you, just not friendly enough for you to feel comfortable asking them to go get coffee, or grab lunch during the week. Don't get me wrong, there are several lovely ladies that I met in a professional environment that I get along great with, and do in fact go out to eat with occasionally. But I never see them outside of the work week.
Patrick and I usually stick at home in the evenings and weekends, and don't really hang out with a lot of other couples our age. I tell him that I don't have any friends here, and he says, "Well I introduced you to my high school friends, just call them up and ask them to do something." Well, you think it would be that easy, but it's not! And like I said, I don't feel comfortable doing that.
Is is bad that I don't feel like putting in the effort sometimes? I think of all of the GREAT relationships I have with my friends from college, and then I think about how I don't think that any relationship I could start with the people here would even hold a candle to my lovely lady friends. I know this is really close-minded of me, but hey, I do what I want! So for now I try to put in the extra effort and time spent on the phone keeping connected with my friends who live all over the U.S.
I think that's fair, right? Oh, P.S., I'm really stubborn too. Sometimes I won't go out of my way to get something even if it looks even the slightest bit tempting, just because I don't want to :)




I feel you, girl. I've definitely moved enough times that I've had my share of lonely evenings and weekends. When I moved to NY, I really had only a few acquaintances, and no real friends. It took a lot of effort and energy to be able to travel to different parts of the city for happy hours and brunches, but it's definitely made my time here worth the while. This weekend was a pretty lonely one here in the city though with everyone out of town, so I am freshly empathetic for your loneliness. Just remember, the outcome is normally worth the effort.
ReplyDeletexoxo
lacey
Thanks dear :) It's refreshing to hear that! I just have to make the effort, and I know it's usually worth it in the end!
ReplyDeleteI think it is really hard at our ages when we move somewhere new. I am in the exact same boat as you are. We generally meet people when we are younger through school and the like, but since we are finished with all of that, i suppose it does take a super human amount of effort- and frankly somewtimes I just don't think its worth it either. I don't want to go to the awkwardness of "dating" new friends to see if the stick. It is easier just to hang with the hubby.
ReplyDeleteThat ;) ;) could actually lead us to the next stage in life when I think adults can make friend which is through their kids. Yikes! I am not sure if I am ready for that effort yet either.
I am sorry that you are lonely sometimes, but know that you aren't the only one feeling that way. I really, really miss good girlfriends often times too.
Sorry for all of the typos. :( I was totally feeling it and my fingers don't move as well as my mind does.
ReplyDeleteThanks Laura! I agree, "dating" new friends takes a TON of effort! I know I will eventually meet new people through my future offspring-but like you, I'm just not quite ready for that step :) I'll stick to hanging with my hubby-I kinda sorta like him A LOT :)
ReplyDelete