So, there's this thing that's been bothering me for quite some time. In fact, it started when I moved to Eastern MT. It could be the fact that we're so far in the middle of nowhere, that this happens. What, you ask? BAD PRODUCE.
I go to the grocery store about once a week. Last week I went to the store on Monday. By Friday, my raspberries were already growing mold on them! I washed them, and even put a paper towel in the case so it would soak up the extra moisture. Am I missing something here? And this happens to almost ALL of my produce. If I don't use it within 4-5 days, it's mushy, moldy, etc.
I haven't experienced this problem until I moved to such a remote area. I thought it might just be my refridgerator, but it happens to my in-laws too. Is there some sort of trick that I need to learn? I don't really have the option of going to a farmer's market to purchase all of my veggies either. Our farmer's market consists of everything I grow in my own garden, so that's kind of a waste. For those of you who have farmer's markets available to you, take advantage of them! And don't take the lovely produce department in your grocery store for granted. I always did, and now I am envious to all of you who get to shop at a Whole Foods store, or other wonderful market.
Does anyone have any tips to keeping produce more fresh??? I would love some help!




Never use a crisper! Just leave them in the main compartment. I have this problem too though; I have to get creative to buy just the right amount and use them fast/freeze them if they're going to go bad. If I have too many berries, I freeze them for smoothies...if you have lots of veggies that are about to go bad chop them for spaghetti sauce. That's the best I've got. :)
ReplyDeleteThat helps! Thanks friend :)
ReplyDeleteFrozen berries! Haha that's what I do :)
ReplyDelete