Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Friday, August 6, 2010

The Week the World Stops Turning

The week the world stops turning...no, it's not the week of Christmas when everyone's all cuddled up at home with their families and opening gifts. It's the week of the fair in Eastern Montana. Every county has one, and each are complete with several things.

1. Nasty, dirty, old rides that have all been peed and vomited on by excited children (or adults)
2. Fair food-Corn dogs, hamburgers, giant meat-wads, popcorn chicken, Indian tacos, fry bread, etc.
3. Carnies...what more do I need to say? EWWWWW
4. Rodeo-Ummm, hello. A fair would be incomplete with out this...On a side not, tonight's rodeo is Tough Enough to Wear Pink night, bringing awareness to Breast Cancer Research and Prevention. Everyone, cowboys included, wears pink to the rodeo. The whole town puts window paintings on their businesses and clothing retailers sells shirts, hats, sweatshirts, etc. that are pink to support this.

There are many other things at a county fair, but I thought I would highlight the most important things :)

But literally, the town shuts down. The bank closes early, businesses are either just closed, or shut down early. Restaurants are empty because people want to stuff their faces with greasy fair food, and people are generally unmotivated at work and leave early, and you know what everyone's doing this weekend, because well, it's fair weekend. DUH.

It's like a time warp...it really is like the world stops turning because the fair is in town. This happens in every county throughout the state, but it seems to be more intense over here on the Eastern side!

Well, I suppose I should get some work done...so I can take off early to go to the fair :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds so fun!! I love a great rodeo, and the breast cancer awareness effort is fantastic. Enjoy yourselves tonight, and make Pat win you some big silly stuffed animal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New to your blog! Cute pics :) And that's too funny! I wouldn't even know the fair was going on here if I hadn't seen a commercial this morning ~ Hope its fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! We'll definitely have some fun, play some games, and hopefully the hubby will win me one of the big stuffed animals!

    ReplyDelete