Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I HATE When People Say This To Me

I got this idea from Christin yesterday. She posted about how young she looks, and how she gets told all the time she looks like she is graduating from high school, just getting her driver's license, problems buying alcohol, etc.

So it got me thinking about something that I hate, no despise, when people say it to me. 

They say, "What's wrong? Why aren't you smiling? Is something wrong? You just look sad."


My reply..."Ummmm, nothing is wrong. This is just the way I look."

I mean, once they go there, the REAL bitch face comes on and I have to pretend I like the person and remind myself that I'm in public before I clock them across the face for asking such a dumb question. 

And these are not people I know. Because people I know don't ask. They know that if something is wrong, I will show it. If I want to share with them, I will. And I am usually vocal about it. I may be guilty of wearing my heart on my sleeve. If I don't like you, you usually know. But the people asking these asinine questions....these are COMPLETE STRANGERS 99% of the time.

So how do I reply to this? I simply say, "Nothing is wrong, this is just how my face looks."

"Well you look so sad!"
"Nope, I have a great life, nothing to be sad about. This is just how my face is."
"Well you should be smiling!"
"Why? So I can walk around all day looking like an idiot?"

Note the crazy eyes...

To me, the people that walk around with a big ol' smile on their face look a little silly. I mean, more power to them if that's how they wanna roll. But me? Nooooope. Not for me. I'm a pretty happy person overall, I just may not show it how others think I should.

I mean, how do you not take offense to someone telling you that you look sad all the time? I'm sorry that you don't think my face exudes happiness, how would you like me to fix that? Oh wait...I don't care...

Do you guys have anything that people say to you all the time that just gets under your skin? Especially people you don't know???

11 comments:

  1. Love this! "clock you in the face" double love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh because really, how are you suppose to respond to that?

    You already know some of the questions I've been getting asked since I'm pregnant right now - I think the top question is, "Wow - you are big! Are you sure you aren't having twins?" Well, yes, I am sure I'm not having twins because both of my ultrasounds showed only ONE baby and I've only gained 14 pounds so far at 37 weeks - and if you really want to know, that means that is literally all baby and fluids...

    Ah, that feels good to just get out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the time when I am mad and have an angry face or no smile chances are the people who ask are the people I'm mad at!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I remember you talking about this before and thinking what an odd thing for someone to say to you, especially a stranger. I mean, what if you really were sad? Would it be their business to know what was making you sad? Nope. Weirdos. All of 'em. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, I get this too! Ugh! It's the worst! No one wants to be told that! I know that I am completely happy! You're right, if we walked around with a smile 24/7 people would think we were weird creepers then! They would then ask what you were smiling about. You know they would! I love ya smile or not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha... good point, Nicole. This is the worst during pregnancy. I got, "oh my goodness you're so cute and you've barely gained" and "you look so great" or "you must be due any minute," and my favorite, which was yelled by a complete stranger at the nail salon "are you gonna drop that baby?! You're huge!" I was so stunned I even replied, "did you just say I was huge?" I had to inform her I still had two months to go and I really wanted to slap that stranger lady. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG that would so piss me off too! Who the hell can smile all day every day? Not me either girl! Hope your having a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is the story of my life! Like even to the point that I now have to verbalize to my clinical instructors that my "nonverbal" communication may be misunderstood when working with clients. Obviously I have awknowledged this as my weakness and am working on it (because I dont want to get in trouble) but I have gotten the whole "why aren't you smiling" bs since I was little. From everyone, besides my family. Even my husband still asks this question sometimes and has assured me over and over if I am not smiling I look like the world's angriest person. Oh well I guess there arew worse traits to have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In high school everyone though I was the biggest bitch and stayed away, because I didn't smile haha. Oh well I didn't want to be friends with those snobby people anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate when people tell me to smile. Get a life people. I also get told I look young constantly, but it doesn't bother me.

    ReplyDelete