Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Monday, April 18, 2011

Gasp!!!

That gasp was the collective sound of all of my readers after they read the following sentence.

I TURN MY CELL PHONE OFF EVERY NIGHT, AND ON THE WEEKENDS.

Yes, yes I do. You know why? Cause I don't have service at my house. I turn my phone on every morning on my 25 mile commute to work, and turn it off when I return home in the evening every night. If I don't, it drains the battery and my phone is dead by the morning.

When we first moved out to the middle of nowhere, I had a hard time knowing that my phone was going to be off and no one could reach me if they needed to. I left it on, but found every morning that it had spent the night searching for a network and wound up with a dead battery. It was really hard to do....but then, I found the beauty in it :)

We lived with my in-laws for several months. I only gave their home number to my two best friends and my family. It was kinda nice not being available. I didn't feel like I HAD to answer my phone, and if someone really wanted to talk to me, they would leave a message on my cell phone. There was however, a month where I only had a land line and no cell phone. The cell I had in Idaho was a company phone, and it took me about a month of living here to get a new phone. It was like I was back in middle school where no one had cell phones and you had to call everyone's house.

People ask me all the time, "But isn't it hard to turn your phone off?" Nope. Not even a little. It's kinda nice actually. People still send me texts during the night or on the weekends, and I don't respond until Monday morning when I get into work. "But what if someone needed to get a hold of you?" All the people that would need me in an emergency have my home phone number. Other than that, leave a message!

It's nice being disconnected. You should try it :)

2 comments:

  1. oooo I like that but we don't have a landline :( we had one but we never used it...I might still try it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that actually is pretty nice. Never really thought of it.

    ReplyDelete