Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Friday, April 22, 2011

Not A Flip Off Friday




Earlier this week I had big plans on what I was going to write for flip-off Friday. I had several things going through my head cause a couple things had really gotten to me.

And then my world stopped on Wednesday afternoon.

Both my husband and I were home early from work and let the dogs out. Shortly after that, we saw the UPS truck driving down our neighbor's driveway to deliver a package. Our 2 dogs and neighbor's 4 dogs were running alongside the truck that was driving WAY too fast, and unfortunately our dog Jake got run over. AND THEN THE DRIVER DIDN'T STOP. He kept driving.

My husband ran over to him while I got the truck. We loaded him up in the back seat. He was still alive but couldn't move. We drove back into our yard to get my purse and call the vet to tell them we were on our way. The UPS driver drove over (after he delivered his package, mind you). I was sitting in the truck with Jake in the back seat and Patrick came out of the house to find the UPS man talking to me. He came over and apologized to me, but as soon as P came outside, he started yelling at the driver, telling him to slow down and generally being very angry that his dog was hurting (like any normal dog owner would do).

THEN came the appalling part. The UPS man said, "You know what asshole, what am I supposed to do? I come over here to try and apologize, and you're being a dick!! What do you want me to do about it?!?!" To which both P and I said, "SLOW DOWN!" He then said, "I tried slowing down and all the dogs just got closer so I just sped up!!" P and the driver exchanged more words when I told P to get in the truck to go to the vet. THE DRIVER THEN CONTINUED TO PURSUE THE ARGUMENT, and followed my husband around to the passenger side of my truck. P just got in and we drove away.

Sadly, on the way to the vet, our dear boy Jake passed away. We did go to the vet's office, and the vet said that he died of massive internal injuries. But he also assured us and said he was not in pain for very long. As soon as the vet told us, I collapsed. My husband and I both cried, and cried. Words cannot express how much this dog meant to us. He was our child. He cuddled with us every night, gave us sweet doggie kisses, loved us unconditionally, was always up for a game of fetch, and was just a lovable, sweet dog. We are going to miss him SO SO SO much. It's so hard right now, and our hearts are hurting so very much. A part of us died inside when he left. I can honestly say it is one of THE hardest things I've ever had to go through for myself and my husband.

And don't worry, we already made a complaint to UPS about the driver. I get that accidents happen, but there were things that could have been done differently, like driving slower. AND, not calling my husband an asshole and dick after he ran over our dog. The UPS is doing an investigation into it, and we'll see what the outcome is. I just want it to be over with, and remember the Jakey that we all loved and adored. Here are some pictures of our boy Jacob, and our other boy Harley.



Dear Jacob,

Mom, Dad, Gramma, Grandpa and brother Harley all love you very much. We will never forget you and the amazing life that you had. You taught us that you need to live every day to the fullest, and there's always time to take for play. You always had a smile on your face and were eager to see us. You always were ready to give anyone a kiss, and protect the ones you love. You were such a good cuddler, and such a great cow dog. We know you're in heaven with God, sitting right by his side and playing fetch all day long. I bet they have unlimited treats and squeaky toys where you are, and you get to chase cows all day long. We will never forget you Mr. Jacob and are so glad that you got to be part of our lives, even if it was way too short. WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH JAKE!!!

Love, Mom

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. Like you we live on farmland. The very same thing happened to us when the trash man ran over our Doxin. It is so sad, and it is even worse when the person holds no responsibility or even sorrow over the situation. People just don't understand that these animals become our family. I'm sure your puppy will be waiting for you at the "rainbow bridge", as all animals wait for their owners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. it gets me choked up to read this because I understand what it feels to suddenly loose your dog. It's been a year since I lost my first pet and Its hard. Right now, I'm sure your other dog is going through a sad moment as well since he notices the changes. Stick by him, it will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just want to give you a hug and say "I'm sorry for your loss", from Lacey's Aunt Pam in FL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so so sorry Nicole! I cried reading this because my dogs are my children too and if anything were to happen to them I would just die! I cannot imagine what you are going through but know that prayers are being sent up from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your support. It's definitely been hard, and I still cry every night. Some people just don't understand how much a part of the family our pets are-they're like my children! (I don't have any kids yet). I know it will get better and I just have to remember the happy times with my Jakey. I'm so thankful for my other pup. He knows something is wrong and different, but he's doing ok. Thanks again ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart goes out to you guys! I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I've been loving on our Jakey & hugging him more lately! Going through things like this just shows us how precious life truely is. Praying for comfort & peace.

    ReplyDelete