Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Monday, January 21, 2013

Let's Do This!

I know it's already the middle of January and people have made their goals for the year. I'm just a little behind the times, so I'm still deciding on mine and getting them written down. But I've decided to give myself little weekly goals to help with my motivation, health, weight loss and diet. 

I actually got the idea from my friend Celeste, who has been on this journey with me for a loooooong time. She and I decided to start making a couple small weekly goals to follow, and use each other to stay accountable. My goals for last week were:

1) NO sugar! No cookies, candy, chocolate, sweets, desserts of ANY kind.
2) Work out 3 times
3) Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies each day.
4) Use myfitnesspal EVERY day.

I'm excited to say that I accomplished ALL 4 of my goals! They may not seem big, but when your coworker brings in chocolate-covered almond Hershey kisses, donuts and cookies, it's a BIG deal! I worked out 3 times, ate right around 5 servings of veggies and fruit per day (usually 3 veggie, 2 fruit), and logged in every day to MFP! (Come find me! nicoledhackley is my username).

So...setting some new goals for this week:

1) NO eating out!
2) Work out 4 times
3) Drink 80 oz of water a day
4) Use MFP every day

The thing about trying to eat healthy too, is mixing it up. I love trying different salads, different veggies, etc. This is one of my favorite salads, I got the inspiration from Pinterest, but kind of made it my own.


This is how I make my salad:
  • 1 whole head of Hears of Romaine lettuce
  • Craisins
  • Cooked chicken breast (1/2 a breast will be good enough)
  • Diced pear (about 1/4 of a pear)
  • Feta cheese (about 1/8 of a cup)
  • Slivered almonds
  • Dressing just depends on my mood-the best on this is a light balsamic viniagrette. You don't need much since there are so many other things in the salad to make it flavorful. Or you could use a light italian, raspberry walnut viniagrette, etc. Just make sure it's the LIGHT version. You don't want use all your daily calories in salad dressing.
Pair this salad with a V8 (low sodium) or an orange and you're good to go for lunch!

So...what are your goals this week! I'll help hold you accountable!

4 comments:

  1. That salad looks so yummy! Ok, my goals this week are (I am going to steal some of yours :):
    1. NO eating out (big one for me)
    2. No soda
    3. Eat 6 small meals a day, 2 hrs apart
    4. Drink plenty of water

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow look at you go these are some good goals Ive been going to the gym but when it comes to eating I have sucked and I can tell now that Im stepping on the scales just because Im working out doesnt mean I can keep whatever so this week my goal is to eat better

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay good for you!! Short term goals are so much more effective, I think. We missed you this weekend!! xoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small goals are definitely the way to go! That salad also sounds divine...I love fun salads.

    ReplyDelete