Good Tuesday morning friends! If anyone had a rough Monday, or is having a rough go of things, just remember that you are loved, and there are so many people in your life that appreciate you. Sometimes we don't hear that enough. So if you need a long distance hug from someone, you've got a hug from me today :)
Now onto my fun project!
We feed our cows SmartLic tubs to get their vitamins and minerals. It's like a salt block, but in a giant tub. The tubs themselves cost $9, but filled with the mineral, about $275. When the tubs are empty, you can take them back to the grain elevator to have them refilled, or return them to get your $9 deposit back.
This spring, when I was trying to figure out which flower pots and planters I wanted to use, I had the brilliant idea of using some of these tubs to plant my flowers! Tubs of this size at the store or greenhouse go for about $75, and I'd feel much better about paying $9 for one than $75.
So instead of returning them, we are repurposing a lot of them! One we spray painted silver and it holds a bunch of chains and binders for the back of Patrick's pickup. The other I used for planting strawberries, and the last I used to plant my flower pots.
And yes, in the picture below, Harley is peeing on the tubs. Awesome picture moment Nicole. Way to go. But hey, I'm just trying to keep it real around here.
After I power-washed all of the tubs and ended up looking like hot, dirty mess, I started the spray paint. I wanted fun, springy pastel colors, so I chose yellow and blue. I used the rustoleum spray paint, because some of the tubs already had rust on them and the paint was peeling off.
After they were done drying, I-meaning Patrick-drilled holes in the bottom for drainage. We (meaning Patrick) then filled it with regular old dirt, and then covered the top 4 inches with Miracle Grow potting soil. I found a bunch of random and bright flowers and planted them in the three tubs and voila! Success!
What's awesome, is that the flowers planted in these tubs are doing a lot better than any of the flowers I planted in my regular tubs. Maybe there were some leftover minerals in there? I have no clue. Either way, I love how they turned out!




Oh wow, they look so great!! I love these! What a fun project!
ReplyDelete~Tiffany
Those planters rock girl! They are full and lucious! I love that Harley claimed his too! ha!
ReplyDeleteThese turned out great! Maybe it was the "water" provided by Harley? Good repurpose!!!
ReplyDeleteThese are fantastic! Great way to 'up cycle'. I love the colors and use.
ReplyDeleteThese are so cute!! Love 'em!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! You should do this with all your tubs and sell the ones you don't use! You could sell them for $40-$50 and people would still be paying less than they would at the store!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all - I needed to read your 1st paragraph this morning! Ive had a very rough week! So thank you! Second - I LOVE your tubs. What a great idea and the colors are amazing.
ReplyDeleteVery cute! And so much fun to repurpose things from the farm to decorate with. I love the colors you picked to paint the tubs.
ReplyDelete