We got a couple people together that was the unofficial planning committee, and spread the word far and wide to all of the families that we could reach that either attended the church, their families attended, or anyone who had relatives buried in the cemetery.
While the church services stopped about 30 years ago due to lack of attendance, the church still holds a special place in people's hearts. During the service, we sang several songs along with the very out-of-tune piano, people shared stories of their memories or the memories of their families, and the last preacher who taught at the church did the prayers. One of the other preachers came back to do the sermon as well.
People piling out of the church after the service. All in all, I think there were about 60-70 people that attended. Some of them drove over 1,000 miles to come to this, and said they would not have missed it for the world.
We also held a potluck afterwards for everyone. We served sloppy joes, and had everyone else bring side salads or a dessert. I think we had about 20 different salads or sides to choose from. And yes, we used kiddie pools filled with ice to keep the salads cold!
You best redneckognize!
I'm not quite sure we had enough desserts.... One other thing I will mention that I think is absolutely awesome, is that of these 30-some side dishes and desserts that came, NONE of them were bought from a store or deli. Every single one of them was homemade. I think one person brought a couple bags of chips, but that was it.
And while we were up at the church, I took a picture of the view looking down to our home and yard. I love love love this view.
Come back tomorrow for some GREAT pictures I took last week! They won't disappoint!




Oh my gosh, Nicole. I love everything about this! This is how life is supposed to be---I just love everyone piling out of a tiny church and having a pot luck. Perfect!
ReplyDelete~Tiffany
That is one hell of a view, my dear!
ReplyDeleteI miss potlucks. My hips don't, though.
One word to describe this: Beautiful! Sometimes I feel like our town is missing that "small town" feeling. If that makes sense!
ReplyDeletebreathtaking!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love that you used kiddie pools! great idea.
Sounds like a wonderful day! Those tables full of food look amazing.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing with all of us.
Wow, looked like it was a good turnout!
ReplyDeleteI love old churches! I bet this one has sooo much history. You guys did a great job!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story! Glad you had a good turnout. A "little white church" near where I grew up who stopped services at least 30 years ago started hosting an ice cream social a few years ago. It has turned into a great annual event that has helped with the preservation of the church and has turned the area into a historical landmark.
ReplyDelete