I could go on and on about the many nuances of their jobs, but that's not what I'm here to talk about today. I want to talk to you about what it's like to be the woman behind the farmer. I'm here to tell you...it isn't easy.
The past 4 years of our marriage that we've lived on the farm, I've had to learn a lot of things. The first summer was sort of a crash course in what was expected of me and my role on the farm, and I still learn things all the time.
There is one word that can sum all of it up: Sacrifice.
One of the first things I learned, is that what you want, does not always come first. Sometimes it doesn't even come second or third. And sometimes you are dead last. And you have to be ok with it. Even if you're not ok with it, you have to act like it. Your family is going on a camping trip in the middle of the summer? Too bad, there's hay to be put up. Friend's wedding in the Spring? Looks like I'm going solo.
There are a lot of nights I spend alone during the spring and summer, and the only time I see my husband is in the morning, when he comes home to eat, shower and go to sleep, or if I have to run something out to the field to him. I do also work in town however, so I probably would see him more if I didn't work. You learn to cherish every opportunity you have with him. And if he asks you to go sit in the tractor with him? You go. No questions asked.
If I've had a bad day at work or have been doing housework all day, sometimes I think about complaining, or want a foot or back rub. But then I think about how hard my husband works during his 14 hour days, and that I get to sit on my butt in a cool/warm office all day, and think that a back rub is probably exactly what he needs. That and a hot meal. They don't ask for much.
And sometimes he needs your help with something. Do I always want to do it? No. You can ask Patrick, I used to complain all the time if I had to go help him do something and didn't want to. It became a point of contention between us, and since then I've tried to be better about it. He doesn't want to be out there at 9 o clock at night all the time either, so it will get done quicker if I quit complaining and just go help. And a bonus for me, is that I get some of my best pictures when I go out and help him.
The biggest sacrifice a farmer's wife makes is time. Time is precious between us and I try to take every opportunity I can when I have it. He tries to give me time when he can, but it's just an understanding you have to have that sometimes your attention goes on the back burner for the time being.
Is it easy? Hell no. It's a hard job. But being his wife, my job is to support him in what he does, encourage him when he's frustrated, and try and make things as easy as possible for him around the house.
At the end of the day, is it worth it? Absolutely, definitely, wouldn't change a thing. But was it a difficult transition to make? Without a doubt. Like in any marriage, you have to find a balance and make sacrifices. Ours is just a little different than most.
(Excuse the chubby faces...this was 40 lbs ago for me and 20 for Patrick!)
Do you have any questions for this farmer's wife? I'd love to answer them! And if you one of my fellow farm wives, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for doing everything that you do. I know we never hear it enough.





.jpg)
The colors in that fence picture are gorgeous! You need to be selling these to magazines!
ReplyDelete40 pounds ago?! Is that how much you've lost so far? WOW!
I love this, Nicole!! So true. It's not easy, but worth it, you nailed it on the head! And I love that picture of the barbed wire fence. So great!
ReplyDelete~Tiffany
I am so proud to be a farmer's wife! And like you said, you have to cherish the time together. Once kids get into the picture it can be even harder because you not only want your husband's help with the kids but the kids miss their Dad too during the busy times. I try to have it that the kids see their Dad everyday. So on days when my husband is gone before they wake up and won't get home till after they're asleep, we'll go visit him in the field or have a picnic in the tractor or at the hog barns - wherever my husband is busy farming. I do have to remind my husband two things from time to time - we are a family first farm business and not a farm business family. Our family will always be here and those relationships are important. The second thing is that he is married to me and not the farm. It is a two way street in every marriage!
ReplyDeleteYou're great farm wife! And a great person all around!
ReplyDeleteAmen, sister! This just about sums it up for me: "Sometimes you are dead last. And you have to be ok with it. Even if you're not ok with it, you have to act like it." THAT is honestly the hardest part of being a farmer's wife...I don't know how many times my husband and I have argued about exactly that same thing. But it is what it is. At the end of the day, I wouldn't want to be married to anyone else...and my husband is a farmer so I deal with all of the crap (sometimes literally...) because I love him. Great post!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, these pictures are gorgeous. Secondly, I feel like you're The Pioneer Woman. I love it :)
ReplyDeleteI grew up a farmer's daughter and granddaughter. I helped, Imsaw the sacrifices my mom and grandmother made! I know, I get what you do. Farmers work hard but so do their wives (maybe harder...).
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a Hallmark movie! You are a good wife, even though sometimes it's hard! You rock ;)
ReplyDeleteYou have got to love it though. Sorry but it gets way harder once the baby comes. You are due this winter though, right? Trust me perfect time for it. Then daddy and baby get in some good bonding during the slow season. Every morning when I get Hayes up he tells me "Daddeee" so I carry him in and he waves and says bye bye to daddy.(Chris is sounds asleep!) It is absolutely adorable. Hayes is soooo excited anytime we have to go take Chris something. Anytime he sees a tractor he yells Daddeeee!! Makes me tear up a little just typing this. It is kind of awesome having a farmer daddy.
ReplyDelete