Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ewwww, GROSS!!

So, as promised, I took pictures of the butchering process. The steer we shot was HUMONGOUS. It's hindquarter was as tall as me!


Yes, that is its hoof still attached to the leg. We do the cutting up in the basement of my husband's grandparent's house, because it has a concrete floor with a drain in it, which makes it easier to clean up at the end. If you ask me, this is a scary basement room that looks like it belongs in a horror movie where an axe murderer kills people and cuts them up. EW.

Soooo, moving on. First, we have to bring the beef inside:


There are a total of 6 pieces. They first cut it in half, then each half into thirds. There's the front shoulder, which mostly gets made into hamburger and roasts, the ribs, and the hindquarters that are mostly made into steaks. The following picture gives you and glimpse into the scary basement. The big saw in the back is where we cut the large chunks of beef down unto 2 inch slices so we can cut the meat away from the bones.


Next, you start cutting the beef. Below are the tools we use to cut the beef into more manageable sizes, then use the knives to get the beef off of the bones. The stack of beef on the left are roasts waiting to be packaged.


Here, my cousin Jenni and I are cutting up chunks to go through the hamburger machine. P.S. Don't judge my hair...you wouldn't get dressed up for raw beef either.


Ahhh, nothing brings the family together like raw beef does....good times, good times.

Aaaand, just a little something to gross you out....

No, I didn't actually eat it! The pile of beef in front of me is waiting to be cut up for hamburger. And Jenni is pretending that she's not in the picture. Hey Jenni, nice hat! haha

So, after we get it all cut up into steaks, roasts, hamburger, etc., we wrap them in celophane, then in white freezer paper. We tape them shut, label what's inside, and stick them in the freezer. Voila! BEEF-IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER.

3 comments:

  1. Wowza as adventurous as I am, I truly wonder if my stomach would be able to handle that. And 10 foot snow drifts right now?! It's like 60 here in NYC!!! SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...I about vomited reading this. Seriously! Yuck yuck yuck. I'm sorry friend, but you can't ever call me to help cut up a beef. I now will never have a steak for sure.

    P.S. Loving your hair cut and color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps : as much as I absolutely LOVE family time and 5 hours of beef you also know you want my neck warmer that i use for a hat because its nothing short of AMAZING :)

    ReplyDelete