Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful

This time of year I notice that a lot of my bloggy friends are posting what they're thankful for, and I realize that each and every one of us have MANY, MANY things to be thankful for.

One of the things I am thankful for each and every day of the year is our members in the armed services. Those who don't get to spend holidays with their families, go out to lunch with their friends, or go shopping cause they feel like it. They are the most selfless people, giving their all to protect/serve/fight for every day people like me.

I'll have to admit, I was saving this one for awhile.....I have a dear college friend who joined the Army Reserves several years ago. When I first met this lovely lass, she was in the sorority (Pi Phi! Woop Woop!) I joined in college. We had MANY a good time out on the town, doing girly things, being overly excited to sing songs, snap our fingers, and generally being bad asses.


So the day she called me to tell me that she was joining the reserves, and was trying to get me to join with her, I thought she was crazy!!! But she knew it was something that she really wanted to do. While I did not join with her, I fully supported her, and we wrote back and forth to each other a little bit while she was away at her training camps. I still have those letters :) I finally got her to send me some info and a picture.

THIS GIRL, and her hubby who serves with her, are who I'm thankful for this year. They were mobilized September 11, 2010, serving in Kandahar, Afghanistan. This little blondie is a Sergeant, who gets to yell at people and tell them to do push ups.



I couldn't be more proud of her, and am thankful every day for the heart and soul she puts in to serving our country. This one's for you Ashbag!!! SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!

She also sent me the NCO's Creed, which the good NCO's live by and strive to live up to.

"No one is more professional than I. I am a Noncommissioned Officer, a leader of soldiers. As a Noncommissioned Officer, I realize that I am a member of a time honored corps, which is known as "The Backbone of the Army". I am proud of the Corps of Noncommissioned Officers and will at all times conduct myself so as to bring credit upon the Corps, the Military Service and my country regardless of the situation in which I find myself. I will not use my grade or position to attain pleasure, profit, or personal safety.

Competence is my watchword. My two basic responsibilities will always be uppermost in my mind -- accomplishment of my mission and the welfare of my soldiers. I will strive to remain technically and tactically proficient. I am aware of my role as a Noncommissioned Officer. I will fulfill my responsibilities inherent in that role. All soldiers are entitled to outstanding leadership; I will provide that leadership. I know my soldiers and I will always place their needs above my own. I will communicate consistently with my soldiers and never leave them uninformed. I will be fair and impartial when recommending both rewards and punishment.

Officers of my unit will have maximum time to accomplish their duties; they will not have to accomplish mine. I will earn their respect and confidence as well as that of my soldiers. I will be loyal to those with whom I serve; seniors, peers, and subordinates alike. I will exercise initiative by taking appropriate action in the absence of orders. I will not compromise my integrity, nor my moral courage. I will not forget, nor will I allow my comrades to forget that we are professionals, Noncommissioned Officers, leaders!"

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

5 comments:

  1. Such a great tribute to a strong woman, and the people that serve with her!

    Happy Thanksgiving to her and her husband :)

    And to you and Pat of course...duh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats my wife!
    -Flynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a nice tribute and very sweet of you! Ashley is lucky to have such a great friend. - Shawn Vicklund (Ash's sister-in-law)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole...thank you for the appreciation and support of my daughter, Ashley and all of the unsung heroes of this war. You are a treasure and Ash is lucky to have a friend like you. Melody Diehl (Ash's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies :) I think we can all agree that Ash is a wonderful woman, and we are so lucky to have her in our lives!

    ReplyDelete