You all know my love of Pinterest...and it just grew even deeper. I found a recipe called German Chocolate Brownie Bars...I made them this weekend and WOW. Just...WOW. It will change your life...and expand your waistline! Behold:
It's like the clouds parted...the angels sang....right? Here's the recipe. You're welcome :)
German Chocolate Brownie Bars
with Brown Sugar Pecan Crust
and Coconut Pecan Topping
Makes 1 9×13-inch pan of brownies
Ingredients
FOR THE CRUST (Vegan/dairy free, gluten free)
16 ounces pecans
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted (substitute margarine for vegan/dairy free)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE BROWNIES
Just buy a brownie box mix (I used Ghirardelli) and follow the directions to make the batter.
FOR THE TOPPING
3 egg yolks
1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups toasted, chopped pecans
2 cups packed sweetened coconut
Directions:
To make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
Place the pecans in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until broken up into tiny pieces. Add the sugar and pulse until combined, then pour in the butter and vanilla. Continue pulsing until combined.
Press the pecan mixture firmly into the prepared pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the edges are golden and the crust feels firm.
While the crust is baking, make the brownies. Pour on top of the crust, and bake following directions on the brownie box mix. Allow brownies to cool completely before topping.
To make the topping: While the brownies are baking, mix the egg yolks, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Beat in the butter, then slowly beat in the cream and vanilla until combined. Pour into a medium saucepan set over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is puffy and begins to thicken (180 degrees), about 15 minutes. Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Stir in the pecans and coconut. Spread all of the mixture over the top of the brownies.





Pinterest is my new addiction!! I can't get enough of it, I have found myself neglecting Facebook to pin things haha I will have to try this one!
ReplyDeleteI'm gonna have to try these! :)
ReplyDeleteThat looks glorious! I will have to try :) Chocolate is the best, but German chocoalate is even better :)
ReplyDeleteOMG! German Chocolate cake is my FAVORITE! I'm totally making these!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! That's like three recipes in one!! Yum!!!! I try to avoid making food like this b/c it would completely nullify anything I did running in the morning! :o)
ReplyDelete