Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Monday, June 17, 2013

Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey

Today marks one year since my grandpa's passing. Last year, he passed away on Father's Day, which oddly enough was also his birthday. It's hard to even know what to say, let alone put it into words. But somehow talking (or typing) it out makes it a little bit better. I'm going to remember him this year by listing the things that I remember best about him.

Celebrating their 50th Anniversary in 2010

My grandpa was a different sort of guy. He was the type of person who would do something just for shock value, and to try and get a reaction out of you. 

He had never-ending stories about anything and everything.

He "collected" a LOT of things. 


He knew the most random things you would ever think of.

He was always thinking about you. If he saw something that reminded him of you, or he thought you might like, he bought it for you.

He loved going to the swap meet. I even went with him a couple of times, and I was so excited the time I went with him and he bought me embroidery thread so I could make ankle bracelets.

He loved all his girls. 3 daughters and 5 granddaughters. And grandsons too of course :)


He had a distinct smell to him. Not stinky, but just, I dunno. Smelled like grandpa to me.

He gave the BEST hugs.  Never halfway, always a full squeeze.



There was still so much about him and stuff he did in his life that I'll never know about, but wish I took the time to hear.

He worked his butt off to take care of his family.


He was worth every penny that he saved. And he saved a lot of them. In cans, in the backyard :)

He loved his veggies. And 9 grain bread.

He may act gruff sometimes, but he was a big ol' softie on the inside.

I loved it when he would greet me. He always said, "Well hello darlin".


These are just a few of my memories that I hold dear of my grandpa. I think about him often, and miss him a lot. Sending out lots of love and hugs to my family today. I know it's hard, but we're happy that he's not hurting anymore and can be at rest. We're blessed and lucky that we were able to spend as much time with him as we did.

I love you grandpa.







6 comments:

  1. Aww, Nicole, this is beautiful. Anniversaries of deaths are always so hard. What a great tribute to him. And I love the quote about the stars being brighter and our world being dimmer. So true.

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! And I feel the same way, wishing I would have taken a little more time to sit and listen to the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collected is a good word to use. We all sure do miss him a lot. Love you Grandpa. Do you remember whenever he came up to visit we would always have to buy his "special" bread and lots of green onions cause he would always just eat them plain at dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tribute to your grandfather. I can tell you really miss him. He seemed like a real stand-up guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss my grandpa all the time. I think the hardest part of him being gone is that he never got to meet Hayes. And now I'm crying! I just know how big his heart was how how much he loved me and how much he would have loved my son! Oh and I love the grandpa smell, I can smell it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post. I had a special relationship with my Great Grandma, who I was lucky to have as a part of my life for 21 years. I'm proud to say that I was able to give her some recognition three weeks ago by giving my little girl Mae as a middle name. It means so much to me and I know my Great Grandma is now my little girl's guardian angel. This post was a great way to recognize your Grandpa and I hope there are more and more ways you are able to continue to remember and recognize him in the future.

    ReplyDelete