Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

You've Been Lied to About Your Marriage

One of my friends posted this link on Facebook yesterday, and once I read it I knew I had to share it here. 

I've been pretty honest on here about sharing that marriage takes work, our marriage isn't perfect, and we've gone to counseling in the past. You don't get to be married for 5 years without some struggles.

So when I read this yesterday, it really rang true for me. This is some of the stuff that I learned in counseling. Society tells us one thing about how marriage and relationships are supposed to be, yet the Bible tells us something completely different. I promise, promise, promise, if you BOTH start following some of the things on the right, you will see an improvement in your relationship.

Source: Rick Thomas

I agree with all of these, but the ones that really stuck out to me were about giving 100% instead of 50/50.

If you always look at marriage with the mindset of "what am I getting out of it" you'll probably be disappointed most of the time. I do things for my husband because that's what God has called me to do-to be a good wife. I do things for the glory of God, not for my husband. And by doing this for God, I am pleasing my husband.

I know this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but for others I hope it helps, or maybe opens your eyes up a little bit. Either way, I think anybody can take at least one piece of advice out of the chart above.

Hope you all have a fabulous Wednesday!

 

5 comments:

  1. Love this!! I really like the one about how marriage is not about a feeling, but about a commitment in spite of a feeling. So true (I mean at least I think, what do I really know?)

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so perfect! People these days take marriage so lightly. This puts a whole new light to it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Since the day my husband and I got married, we have always focused on the verse Ecclesiastes 4:12. Our marriage isn't just the two of us - the third strand that makes it strong is God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny - the 50/50 one is the one that stuck out the most to me, too. It's probably where I could use the most work. These are all really great though. Thanks for sharing it - I hadn't seen it anywhere else yet.

    ReplyDelete