It's that time of year where we wean the baby cows from their mamas and give them their vaccines to keep from getting sick. Last week, Patrick was up helping his uncle for 2 days, then the crew came down and finished up with our cows. It always makes me a little sad, because for the first few days the mamas are really loud trying to beller at their babies and get reconnected with them.
On Thursday, I had to stop at the grain elevator and pick up some Lick Tubs for nutrients. We pulled into the lot to a bunch of loud cows, and the mamas waiting for us to open the gate because they thought they could reunite with their babies.

Unfortunately for them, I backed right into the gate so they couldn't get through. Patrick rolled the tubs out for the calves (the tubs weigh like, 300 pounds or something ridiculous, I don't know). These tubs provide them with all if their vitamins and nutrients, and run about $125 each.
Meet Hercules, the Polled Red Hereford bull we have. He's gonna make some cute babies in the spring!
And this cow was hysterical. I had my window down and she just walked right up. I didn't even zoom in on my phone, that's how close she was. She just sat there staring at me with her big eyelashes while I talked to her for a minute.
Sadly, the babies we decide not to keep will be sold at the auction in the next couple of weeks. It makes me sad to see them go, but that's the name of the game we play as ranchers. But next spring, there will be a whole new batch of babies to name :)







Oh how I love calves! I have a special love for the red ones.
ReplyDeleteAww poor mamma's & their babies!! I know it's all part of it though!!
ReplyDeleteThat's why you aren't supposed to name your cows lol, you grow too attached to them! But it brings in the money.
ReplyDeleteOh the joys of farming. :)
ReplyDeleteHaha she really did come right up to ya!
ReplyDelete