Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

4:30 a.m. Surprise!

Soooo, apparently winter is being a real bitch this year, cause we still have a shit ton of snow. I haven't been to my house in 5 days now, because our roads are plugged with snow and apparently the county refuses to come out and plow the road. Innnnnneresting. They better not get raises this year. A-holes.
Lucky for my in-laws, I was at their house Sunday night. My mother-in-law works all across the U.S., and she was flying out Monday morning. My F.I.L had to take her to the airport at 4:30 a.m., which left me at home alone since hubs was in Iowa picking up our new stock trailer. I wake up at 4:30 a.m. Monday morning to my FIL saying, "Nicole! I have a calf in the basement I need you to take care of, cause I have to take Patty to the airport."
So right away I hop out of bed, put on some dirty clothes (cause I really don't know what the situation is, and it could be dirrrrrrty). I go downstairs and find this little love:
He was born the night before and doing ok, but FIL said that he went out to check the cows at 4:00 a.m. and this little guy was shivering uncontrollably. He thinks that one of the cows accidentally stepped on him, and he couldn't move. Literally, the poor thing was shaking and couldn't stop. So what we have to do, is rub them all over, to help get their blood circulating again to warm them up. You rub 5 minutes, then wait 15 minutes, and rub again. I did this for about an hour and a half waiting for FIL to come back, so I could then get ready for work.
The dogs were curious: Harley says, "Mom, why is this thing in the house???"
Jake says, "Mom! There's a cow in the HOUSE!!! They aren't supposed to be in here! Can I chase it???"
And Harley hangs out with me while I am waiting to rub the calf again:

By the time FIL comes back, the little guy has stopped shivering, and started to move around:

All's well that ends well! I decided to name him Lance. We have to take care of the little guys so they live! If we hadn't brought him inside he most likely would have died, and there goes $800. Just call me the calf whisperer!

1 comment:

  1. I love the name Lance! Good choice friend! I love how concerned Harley is...such a loving dog.

    ReplyDelete