Not your typical earrings! These are the tags we put into the little calvie's ears. It's just like piercing them! Usually about a week or two after they are born, we go out into the field and wrangle them away from their mothers and pierce their ear with their number. I'll get some pictures of that when it comes time!
First of all, there will be three different colors this year: green (ours), yellow (father-in-laws) and orange (grandpa). The first number on the tag represents the last number of the current year, so since this year is 2011, the first number is 1. Next year will be 2012, so the first number will be 2. You get the idea. Then the next two numbers are just to keep track. F.I.L. and grandpa each have about 50 cows that will have a calf, but we might have to make more earrings if we have any twins! We have 11 cows that will have calves.
Since I don't know how to do a lot on the farm, I usually stick to things like putting numbers on the eartags, since it's simple and I can do this unsupervised! So while many of your kitchen counters are covered with mail, food, other kitchen-y things, I often find mine covered in ear tags.
Also, I have a brand spanking new stove with a double oven on it waiting to be installed where this old dinosaur sits. Problem is, I can't get an electrician to come out to do the wiring!!! Frustration!!!




No comments:
Post a Comment