Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hi friends!

I'm back! After 5 days off, visiting my family and sweet little niece, I'm back to share my farming/ranching adventures with you! I have lots to share!!! This adventure? Buying my dog food. I'm sure a lot of normal people get theirs at the grocery store or Walmart of Target. Well, our grocery stores have RIDIC prices, and I'd probably have to promise my first-born to the bank to get a loan in order to buy dog food from the grocery store. The nearest Walmart is an hour away, and Target? Forget about it.

Since my MIL had 3 dogs when we moved here (2 years ago), naturally I asked where she gets her dog food from. She says, "Nortana. You go down main street, take a left at the stop sign, and it will be on the right." So I followed her directions. I'm looking for a pet shop, a sign that says Nortana.

And then I see this:


Big. Scary. Building.

See that tiiiiiiny little door at the bottom? That's where you go in. This my friends, it called a grain elevator. It is where all the farmers bring their wheat/corn/peas/lentils to to get put on a train and shipped out to places that make cereal, bread, etc. This is also where they sell dog food. For REALLY cheap. Like 50 pounds of dog food for $20 cheap. And it's not crappy food either. They have high protein, maintenance, and, well...other ones but I don't buy those cause I don't need them. I accidentally bought the high protein once, but that was a mistake cause I think my dog gained about 10 pounds in 2 months. Whoops! Back to maintenance it is.


So I just put my big girl panties on and went inside. Now that I've been there several times it's not as bad. But I will admit it's still kind of intimidating!

3 comments:

  1. Haha! Wow! What an adventure just to buy dog food! I would have been really intimidated by that building too! I see buildings like that around here and always wonder what goes on inside! :o)

    So you branded 300 pairs of cattle in one day?? Good grief, you must have been exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! No way, we did 120 the first day and 180 the next...that would be one LONG day if we did!

    ReplyDelete