Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Monday, May 23, 2011

Time to Garden!

This year, winter has been a real bitch. That should be no surprise to anyone who reads this blog, cause that's pretty much all I blogged about all winter long! But now I'm hoping to focus on more of the farm-y, outdoorsy stuff that happens around here! Since spring is usually pretty harsh around here, it make for a very short growing season for my garden. A lot of things died in the fall and I didn't get to harvest them because they died from the frost. This year, I came up with a solution to my problem: I planted stuff inside!

I began collecting egg cartons and milk jugs, which I cut the tops off of. I ordered my seeds from a seed catalog called Gurneys. That way, I could get the seeds sooner and plant them as soon as I got them. I planted them three weeks ago, and can already see some results!

So far I've planted pumpkins, zucchini, broccoli, green beans and peppers. I could only plant these things, as they are individual plants. I could try to plant other things, but for corn it would be ridiculous to try and plant each one individually, because I'm going to have over 200 corn stalks.

Here are my little plants (or seeds):

The ones in the cartons are green beans, broccoli and peppers. The ones on the right hold the zucchini.


Here is where my pumpkins are planted:


Look! Life!
I'll keep you guys updated on the progress. I can already tell you that I have WAY more growing now, even though these pics were only taken a week ago! More to come on that later! Also, I'll try to list everything I'm planting this year, which is more than last year! And my garden is twice as big!!!

1 comment:

  1. Those are cute little plants...keep those suckers growing!!

    ReplyDelete