It's true! I was officially finished with college in December of 2006. I lived in Bozeman, MT at the time, where I attended Montana State University (Go Bobcats!). I already decided that I didn't want to walk in my college graduation ceremony for several reasons:
1) I didn't want to deal with the crowds, and I know my family didn't either.
2) I'd rather spend the day with my family, than them sitting in a hot, crowded gymnasium watching me for .5 seconds while my name was announced.
3) Graduation was 5 months after I had finished school. I was over it.
4) You have to pay for all that other crap, like announcements, stamps, the cap/gown, and frankly, I had spent QUITE enough on college already.
Well, something funny happened that day. I had started talking to this boy about 3 weeks prior to that day, May 11, 2007. We had sent texts, emails, and talked on the phone about 3 hours per night. He decided that he was going to come up for MSU's graduation, since he had a couple friends that were graduating also. When he got there, we pretty much knew we were a couple, and going to be committed to the long-distance thing (since he lived in Idaho Falls, ID-a 3-hour drive).
He got there on May 10th, and as soon as he pulled up to my house (in a BEAUTIFUL truck, btw) I wrapped my arms around him and gave him a big ol' smooch. Our first kiss :)
He stayed with me that night (we weren't naughty-what do you think I am? A hooker? No way!) and we woke up the next morning and he took me to Perkins for breakfast-our first date! LOL. So, instead of making the decision to walk in my graduation ceremony from college, I went on my first date with the man I now call my husband :) :) And that's not all...here's where it gets even BETTER.
We tinkered around Bozeman that day, went to breakfast, went and washed the truck, rode around and listened to music. I was supposed to leave to watch my sister play in a softball tournament an hour away, and I just didn't want to leave him! I waited until the LAST minute possible to leave. He dropped me off at my house and said, "Hold on, I have a present for you." So we go out to his truck and he says, "Close your eyes." He reaches in his truck, then puts something in my hand.
THIS IS WHERE I FREAK OUT.
It was a RING. With a diamond. I was like, "Oh how nice. It's cute." Yep, that's what I said. Then he says, "I know this is kind of a lot right now, but I want you to know that even though we're going to be long distance, I am committed to you. Every time you look at this on your finger, I want you to think of me. I'm absolutely committed to you and I'll do everything I can to make you happy. This is a family ring, so it's very special to me, and so are you." You can pick your jaw up off of the floor now.
Then he put it on my pinky finger on my right hand. Which so happens to be the furthest away from my ring finger as possible. Then we kissed, hugged, and said goodbye. I get in my car and my heart is POUNDING. My head is SPINNING. I have to call my friends.
I call my best friend Stef. No answer. I call my friend Emily. She was freaking out as much as I was! What guy does that?!?!? Gives you a promise ring the day of your first date!?!?!?! I really was speechless and didn't know what to say. OMG. A guy that I just kissed for the first time yesterday, just gave me a ring. WOW.
So then when I got to my sister's softball game, the first think my grandmother says is, "WHAT is THAT on your FINGER???" Not "hello dear, it's so good to see you!" Aaaaand all hell broke loose from there. Mom, sisters, brother, friends, sister's team mates, all wanted to hear the story. That's pretty much the end.
So unlike other people's graduation days (the ones who actually attend their ceremony), it is a day of new beginnings, a fresh start into their world and life. And my graduation day was too...just in a different way. Four years ago I had my first date with my hubby....and we are living happily ever after :)




Wow! Sounds like you made a good decision there! When you know, you know. And it sounds like he knew :)
ReplyDeleteI love it!!! I never knew this story! I think I will kick myself forever for not having gotten to make it up for ya'lls wedding! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteGuilty as charged in the freaking out department. However, I love this story and I love you guys! Mwuah! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story! I hear that when you know, you know. It's nice to hear a "happily ever after" story. We her too many negative ones these days. Love your blog :)
ReplyDelete