Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Still Missing





In case you're wondering how Brutus turned out, here's a pic of the front of my house:


Overall, it started with a little snow, then freezing rain on top of that, then 14 inches of snow, then wind. Hence the 3-foot piles in front of my house. It wasn't enough to get me stuck on our dirt road, so all is well in the world. I can't say the same for two poor suckers who decided to chance it on a worse part of the road. Let's just say it took them 2 hours to dig themselves out.

Turns out I had to drive to Billings in the terrible weather, with my FIL to pick up my MIL, since flights into our small airport had all been cancelled. What usually takes us 4 hours took five and a half to get home. BUT, we made it safe and sound.

So, what did I do the rest of the weekend while snuggling with my pups? I read books of course :) And not one, but TWO! I'll save you two book reviews and just do one today though:





On the day she was abducted, Annie O’Sullivan, a thirty-two-year-old Realtor, had three goals: sell a house, forget about a recent argument with her mother, and be on time for dinner with her ever-patient boyfriend. The open house is slow, but when her last visitor pulls up in a van as she’s about to leave, Annie thinks it just might be her lucky day after all. Interwoven with the story of the year Annie spent captive in a remote mountain cabin — which unfolds through sessions with her psychiatrist — is a second narrative recounting the nightmare that follows her escape: her struggle to piece her shattered life back together, the ongoing police investigation into the identity of her captor, and the disturbing sense that things are far from over. The truth doesn’t always set you free. Still Missing is a shocking, visceral, brutal, and beautifully crafted debut novel about surviving the unsurvivable — and living to bear witness.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars! After about a quarter of the book a LOT of stuff had happened, and I wondered how much more intense this book could be. Boy, was I proven wrong! It had a riveting story that had me turning page after page, as quickly as I could, and got better as it went on.

There are parts of it that are pretty disturbing (seems to be a theme with the books I read?), so if you can't handle rape situations, I wouldn't read it. Just when you think you have the story figured out, the author takes you a completely different direction, and has you second-guessing yourself! I would go into more detail, but I don't want to give anything away!

I highly recommend this book!






8 comments:

  1. I seriously cannot believe all of the snow y'all have gotten! I know it's early so, I'll pray it's not too rough of a Winter for y'all! It's in the 50's this week & this Texan is LOVING it! However, I think it's going to be a much colder Winter here than it was last year too! :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man!!!! I thought the little dusting we got last night was bad... I guess winter is here, huh?
    Thanks for the book recommendation - I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza to that snow!!! There's a little snow on the ground here in Denver, but we are kind of looking forward to / are a little anxious for the snow that we'll encounter in Aspen.

    And thanks for the book rec- sounds great!! I'm trying to get into reading more frequently, so I'll remember this one once I've finished my current one.

    Xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book review (I'll have to check the book out) and thanks for the snow photos! We haven't had any snow stick yet and to tell you the truth, I'm ready for some snow. I was just telling my husband how I was looking forward to snow and he gave me a look of, are you kidding me - do you know how much tiling we still need to get done in the fields???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am seriously jealous of your snow. :o( That looks like so much fun. Now that it's so normal for you, do you even get excited when you get a good snowfall? It'll be January or February before we get snow, and even then, it'll only be like 2-3 inches. But we still get excited about it! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really good review. I really liked it.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sounds like a great read! All that snow...makes me miss Canada just a little bit!

    ReplyDelete