Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Weekend

Last weekend we spent a lot of time at home doing farm work and just hanging out. It's getting cold and gloomy, which means we generally like staying inside. Here's a glimpse into our weekend in pictures:

Bringing the cows home for the winter:

This is most of them right here, about 225 of them:

Almost there! By this time, they've walked maybe 2 miles and are pretty tired.

For being not the smartest animal, the older cows in the herd know their way home and usually do a pretty good job of leading the rest of the herd.

The cows will be in a field closer to home, and then today we're actually weaning the calves from the cows and taking the calves to the sale ring tomorrow to be sold. It's always a sad time of year, but I'll be okay again in the spring when we start having baby cows again.

After that, we had to install a new radiator on one of our combines...which turned out to be quite the project. It took Patrick, Grandpa, and me supervising about 3 hours to do it. It was a pain in the butt, so hopefully it doesn't need to be done again for a VERY long time!


While I was busy supervising, I decided on what I was going to make for some of our family members for Christmas:






I'm going to do this, except with pictures from our farm! Here are some that I found on Saturday:








I'm SOOOO excited to do this, and am glad I'm getting a jump start on it! I'm making the 2 hour trek to Hobby Lobby this weekend to get all of my supplies! WOOHOO! As soon as I get one put together, you KNOW I'll be showing you guys!

IF YOU HAVEN'T VOTED YET, GET YOUR HAPPY ASSES TO THE NEAREST POLLING PLACE AND CAST YOUR BALLOT! If you don't then don't complain when you aren't happy with how our government is doing. Ok, I'm climbing off of my soapbox...

3 comments:

  1. Those are great ideas for Christmas and yay for bringing cows home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the christmas gift making idea and even better that the pics are from your farm. Cows just make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's neat that your older cows know their way back home. My friends are always amazed that our chickens can roam over 22 acres and still find their coop and go in at the same time every night. For having such teeny tiny brains, they're pretty darn smart!

    I like your plan for Christmas gifts! I saw someone give a friend that for a wedding present with their last name on it. The pictures were also taken from their family farm! Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete