Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My First Farmer's Market

Last week I spent hours upon hours baking loaves of bread and picking and washing veggies to get ready for the first Farmer's Market of the year.



Typically we have a very small market, but this week we had 16 vendors selling stuff! It was great! Here is what I started the day out with:

Banana Bread: 8 loaves
Beer Bread: 7 loaves
English Muffin Bread: 8 loaves
Chocolate Zucchini muffins: 12
Green Beans: 9 quarts
Peas: 6 ziploc bags full
Lettuce: 10 heads
Beets: 2 bunches
Carrots: 5 bags
Squash: 2



















It doesn't look like a lot on the table, but it takes a long time to get everything ready!

And what I came home with? 1 loaf of beer bread, 2 heads of lettuce and 2 squash.

That's right, I sold out of almost everything!! Which leaves me scared because that means I have to bake almost another 30 loaves of bread...this week. Plus get all my veggies ready again. Yeesh. I'm gonna be one busy, baking fool!

On another note, last Friday when I got home from work there were some giant grain bins going up in our yard.


They hold 4,000 bushels each. A bushel is about the same size as a 5 gallon bucket. This harvest, our grain is going straight to the elevator in our little town, so we will use these to store fertilizer for next year that we pre-bought.

On the very top there's a small opening. There's a rope connected to the lid, and the rope reaches all the way down to the bottom of the bin. So instead of having to climb on top of the bin to open it, you just pull the rope and the lid opens. We'll have to auger the grain from the bottom of the trucks up to the top of the bin to load it in there. And when we go to unload it, the bottom is called a "hopper bottom" and it will empty right back out into an auger and into a truck to take it wherever it needs to go. The point of the hopper bottom is so that you don't have to shovel any grain out of a flat-bottomed bin.

They're pretty big and will take some getting used to seeing when I walk out my front door, but that's all part of farming I guess!

6 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I'm so impressed! I always go to the farmer's market, but I've never sold stuff. Your bread must be excellent to sell out!!

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see you accomplishing your Farmer's Market goal! Sounds like you did a great job last week and good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I know it's for the good of the farm buuut, I would have a hard time adjusting looking at that myself! I can only imagine your reaction! Awesome job though at the Farmer's Market!!! You are definitely going to be a baking fool this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! That's awesome for your first market! Congrats on the new grain bins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you! I'd call that a successful day! I don't know how you still came home with the two squash though - I thought they looked delicious!! Send 'em to me! :o)

    ReplyDelete