It has been awhile since I did a book review...mostly because I haven't had time to do a ton of reading. When my mom came to visit, she'd been talking about this book called The Glass Castle for so long, so she brought me her copy of it to read.
Tell you what friends, this is a memoir you will not want to miss out on. I'm not usually huge into memoirs because to me memoir sounds boring...unless you're Jeannette Walls.
Jeannette Walls grew up
with parents whose ideals and stubborn nonconformity were both their
curse and their salvation. Rex and Rose Mary Walls had four children. In
the beginning, they lived like nomads, moving among Southwest desert
towns, camping in the mountains. Rex was a charismatic, brilliant man
who, when sober,
captured his children’s imagination, teaching them physics, geology,
and above all, how to embrace life fearlessly. Rose Mary, who painted
and wrote and couldn’t stand the responsibility of providing for her
family, called herself an “excitement addict.”
Later, when the money ran out, or the romance of the wandering life faded, the Walls retreated to the dismal West Virginia
mining town—and the family—Rex Walls had done everything he could to
escape. He drank. He stole the grocery money and disappeared for days.
As the dysfunction of the family escalated, Jeannette and her brother
and sisters had to fend for themselves, supporting one another as they
weathered their parents’ betrayals and, finally, found the resources and
will to leave home.
You guys...THIS BOOK...was unreal. The stories she tells about her childhood are so far out there, so very unfathomable, that I cannot believe this stuff actually took place. These parents were truly delusional in their thinking, and it is so far backwards that it actually sometimes makes sense what they're doing.
I couldn't put this book down, and really loved it. Do yourself a favor and definitely add it to your "to read" list!
I give it a 5 out of 5 stars!
For my next read, I'm FINALLY reading:
Come find me on Goodreads to see what else I've read!






I've been back and forth about reading this one. You may have made me pick up my feet now!
ReplyDeleteI finished Gone Girl in the spring. I can't wait to hear what you think.
Ive got to catch up on my reading I have books on my kindle I need to read but I keep getting more. WIll have to try this book once I catch up
ReplyDeleteI loved The Glass Castle. But....have you read her precursor book called Half Broke Horses? Because it's even better. Seriously, especially being an ag girl, you will LOVE it. You must get it!
ReplyDelete~Tiffany
Yep, you will have to read Half Broke Horses next!
DeleteI loved Gone Girl! Brain on Fire was amazing too...even for your non-memoir loving self. :)
ReplyDeleteIt was a really good book and a fast read!
ReplyDeleteI LOVED The Glass Castle! I haven't heard of Half Broke Horses so I'll have to put that on my To Read list!!
ReplyDeleteI have never read a Memoir. In fact I don't think I have ever read a non fiction that wasn't a text book! haha
ReplyDelete