Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

It's Over!!

There are few times in a farmer's life that feel as good as the day that harvest is over, and all of the grain is in the bin. That day for our family farm was yesterday. Not gonna lie, there's usually some whiskey and wine consumption that follows that!

It seemed like this harvest took a little longer than normal, had more breakdowns than normal, and was just a tougher time than it should be. I know my farmer is relieved to have it done.

I thought I'd commemorate the occasion with some pictures I took this year:


Any other farm wife can appreciate my story for this next picture...I took the pic with my phone, which means no zoom lens. Immediately after I snapped the picture, I had to BOOK IT away from the field, because when the combine turns around, it shoots out a bunch of straw a chaff (that's the outside of the wheat kernel) everywhere and is really dusty and itchy! So here I am, 6.5 months prego running through the field of wheat stubble in my flip flops. 


The K-Dub just waiting to be filled.






And with the setting sun, another harvest is complete. Awwww, now wasn't that poetic?? hahaha

Seriously though, Patrick is very glad to be done, and I'm glad we'll actually be able to spend some time together in the evenings and have a real relationship. He actually asked me the other night, "Hey, can I take you on a date soon?" Absolutely! Pretty bad when your husband has to ask you on a date because you're both crazy busy doing stuff. But with fall and winter coming up, we'll be getting to spend lots of time together, which I'm thankful for every year at this time.

To any other farmers out there, I hope your harvest is going well or is done! Oh, and Happy Hump Day!!

8 comments:

  1. These are great pictures!! Now would you be more careful while you're pregnant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful!! I love that you had to run from the chaff. Know exactly what you're saying! Ha! I'm totally steealing for an ag law blog post coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a girl who grew up in the wheat field....and gets that crazy ache every July 4th to be back in the graincart tractor....it just doesn't get much prettier than those golden waves of grain. Great pictures and I'll sigh that sigh of relief (with you) that its all safe and cozy in the bin for another year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running in wheat stubble in flip flops?! You're brave woman! That does not feel good! Yay for harvest being done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFL...I ampicturing you running across the field. I know that art...
    Gorgeous pictures, I'm glad to hear you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I forget...HI, Patrick! Psssst...take her somewhere nice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It never gets old seeing your pictures of those wide open fields! I still can't get over the lack of trees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your harvest photos! We hopefully will begin harvest in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete