Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cold Cows

During the winter, there are very few things we have to do on the farm. One of them however, is separating the cows. We have to separate the ones that are prego that have never had a calf before, because we like to keep a closer eye on them. We keep them in our closest pen, so we can check them easily and get them into the barn if we have any trouble with their birth.

Sooooo, on Sunday we bundled up in the FREEZING cold and snow to separate these cows from the rest of the herd. I took a couple of pictures to show you how much FUN we had...

First of all, apparently hubby thinks he's a ribbon dancer. You can see the cow behind him to the left. That's the area where the prego cows go for now until we get them separated from the rest of the herd. The building with the window is where we take the cows to help them calve if they're having trouble. Just you WAIT until the spring when I get some of those pictures. You will shit your pants!


Next, Jenni apparently wants to take a picture of her ass:


When we finally get working, this is what it looks like:


The cows who have had calves before go out this tiny little door they're headed for and get to stay out in the larger pasture. And you can also see the snow on their backs, the poor things! They don't seem to mind though. You can also see the paddle that my father in law has. This has rattles in it to shake if the cows aren't doing what we want, or to smack them on their heads if they're really pissing us off.

And lastly:

These cows are clearly VERY excited to be doing this. When I first moved to the farm, I would have peed my pants and had an anxiety attack if the cows were this close to me. Now I just pee my pants a little if they get this close :) I'm still getting used to them!

3 comments:

  1. Don't let Nicole kid you. She has improved greatly with working around the cows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cows look CHILLY! Sounds like an interesting time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No lets not fib you wanted to take pictures of my ass so I took a break like you and worked the camera :) You loved it dont lie!

    ReplyDelete