Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Monday, January 3, 2011

Uuuuugggghhhhh

I had a bit of a rough holiday week/weekend. It all started out last Wednesday. Along came another DOOZY of a snowstorm, so I decided to pack up my work stuff and work from home the rest of the day.

I had no problem working from home Wednesday afternoon, but Wednesday night, our computer crashed! And I was supposed to work from home on Thursday too! The roads were so bad, and I wasn't about to drive 50 miles round trip to go get my work computer. So Thursday, I went to my in-laws' house, and used their computer all day. So that stunk...

Then on Friday, I had a bunch of motivation to clean the house and take down all of the Christmas decorations. I got about 2 totes full, and had to run to the basement to grab the other totes....that's when I found a BIG problem. Our basement had flooded! There was about an inch of water covering half of the basement floor :( So my day of motivation turned into cleaning up water with the shopvac. And once the 13-gallon shop vac was full, I had to haul it up the stairs and out of the house, pail by pail. It was too heavy to carry by myself, since there were 13 gallons of water in it.

After I got most of the water cleaned up, I called my dad, who is a plumber, to have him help me figure out what the heck happened. After running some tests, we figured out that the septic tank needed to be looked at. I called a place and THANKFULLY they were open and willing to come out a take a look. This was good and bad news for me...since he was coming out that day, that meant I had to put on my snow gear and trudge through knee-deep snow to guess where our septic lids were in our giant backyard. An hour later (in -5 degree weather), I found them and had them dug out.

The guy came out at 3:00 p.m. on New Year's Eve and found that a part of our septic pump was broken. He didn't have the parts to fix it, so we had to wait another 2 days before he came out again. So that meant showers were limited, and there was only 1 load of laundry that could be done.

He came out and fixed the rest of it yesterday, but part of the pipes on the pump broke, and he has to come out AGAIN today. So FINALLY, after all of this, I'll be able to do laundry and hopefully that's all that needs to be fixed. Needless to say, I didn't do a whole lot on New Year's Eve!

Hopefully you guys had a better start to your year than I did!

3 comments:

  1. NO FUN! I hope you were able to toast the poo away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds absolutely MISERABLE!!! Where was Pat?! I started New Years with a stomach flu...yay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was at work, which was an hour away :(
    And it wasn't poo water, it was the holding tank for dirty water-so just shower water and from the washing machine. Still gross, but not as gross as poo water!!!

    ReplyDelete