Friday night, we knew it was going to be a nice weekend, so hubs and Dillon (my brother who's living with us for the summer) went out and drove around our wheat fields to see which ones were dry enough to seed. (In case you have been hiding under a rock, we've gotten record snow and rainfall this year and have been flooded A LOT so far this year).
When hubs got home, he said that they were definitely going to be seeding and spraying (for weeds) the next day. Well, we went to bed, and when the alarm went off at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday hubs said, "Hey honey, could you do me a REALLY big favor and make me lunch? And then drive me to to tractor so I don't have a vehicle out in the field?" In my sleepy haze I said, "Sure, I can do that."
I get up, trudge to the kitchen, make a couple sandwiches, pack his lunch in the lunch box and we head out the door. Drove him to the tractor...then got home. 2 HOURS LATER!!! What?!?!?! I didn't sign up for this!!!
Well, when I took him to the tractor, then I had to follow him to the sprayer, because said tractor was not hooked up to the sprayer. We go hook it up to the sprayer. Then he says I have to flag him down the road, because you're supposed to have someone with their hazard lights on in front of the tractor. Going 10 mph. Nice.
So we drive a couple miles down a dirt road, a couple miles down the highway, another 2 miles down another dirt road and into the field. Well, we find out that we can't spray because there's too much dew on the grass. UGH. So we get the sprayer ready. And that means that I literally have to push one side of it open because the hydraulic something-or-other doesn't work on it. So not only do I get roped into staying out longer than I wanted to, but I am forced to do physical labor! Ludicrous!
Below is a picture of a sprayer like ours. The long wing in the back has to be pushed from its current position, to completely perpendicular with the tank.

Then I think I get to go home. WRONG! Then he says, "Can you drive me back to the other tractor so I can move it?" Yeah, yeah, yeah. So I do that and then I got to go home. At 8:30 a.m. Sooooo, I hop back into bed and slept until noon :)
Did I also mention I got bit about 10 times by mosquitoes and screamed at the top of my lungs and freaked hubs out cause a mouse ran under my feet? Yes, quite entertaining it was.
So what lesson did I learn? That when hubs asks me to do a "simple" task on the farm that should only take 20 minutes....it almost ALWAYS turns into something longer!!!




Say goodbye to sleeping in. Those boys...always fooling us!
ReplyDeleteOh that sounds NOT FUN!
ReplyDelete