Last Friday I told you all we would be attending a fundraiser this weekend for our local FFA Alumni chapter. This is the second year of operating our local affiliate, so we are just getting started on our activities.
One thing the alumni discussed last year was being able to provide scholarships to FFA students, or students in Culbertson school who were going into an agriculture-related field of study in college. Last year we were able to raise $3,500 and give out 7 scholarships to students. When you have a graduating class of less than 40 people, that's a fairly large amount of students!
So how do we raise our money? It's easy AND fun! I have said before that high school basketball is HUGE here. Oftentimes in the winter it's the only thing to do, so people come out in droves for these events. The alumni choose 2-3 days where the basketball teams are playing at home, and offer a meal for people to eat. We order our food and supplies through the local grocery store, cook it in the school cafeteria's kitchen, which is conveniently located right outside the gym. When people come watch the games, they are able to get a good price for dinner to feed the whole family. That way they're also getting healthier meals, than if they would be getting food out of just the concession stand.
Night 1: Pancakes and eggs!
Night 2: Steak, baby baked potatoes, salad, and dessert:
Overall, we earned about $2,100 in these two nights of cooking dinner. That's pretty good for a small town! We ran out of food both nights, so we must be doing something right! I know agriculture and Ag education are very important, but I wouldn't do it justice explaining it. I might save that for a guest post by Patrick. He knows a lot more detail about this stuff!




Wow, how amazing over $2000! That's great!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome idea!!! Those pancakes look GOOD, too!
ReplyDelete