Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Monday, February 27, 2012

What I'm Doing This Week

I know guns are somewhat of a sensitive topic for some people, but I think you can probably gather from the picture on my blog that I'm pretty pro-gun. Well, I'm pro-gun for those people who know how to actually use them, and SAFELY use them. I love shooting them, looking at them, target practice, learning about them, you name it.



Tonight and Wednesday evening I am taking a Concealed Weapons course. I have always been around guns my whole life, and have always wanted my concealed weapons permit. My family members are all into hunting, and we have all shot, killed, tracked, drug, and gutted our own animals-with my dad's help of course :). In my parents house, the main living room has animal heads all over the walls, and my dad's guns are on display in glass-front (locked) gun cases. My dad has his permit, and a couple of my friends have theirs.

Normally, in the state of Montana, someone who has taken Hunter's Education can go apply for a permit, get fingerprinted, and receive it (barring any felonies, red flags, etc). Well, I haven't ever taken Hunter's Education before (even though my dad has taught it for like 15 years!), so I needed to take a class. I'm sure most of you have heard of the teacher who was kidnapped from Sidney, Montana. Well, after that happened many people were scared and wanted their concealed weapons permits, so the local instructors thought they should put on a class. Fortunately it is free, and all it takes is about 6 hours of my time.

They are calling it Hunter's Education, but most of the focus will be on guns, gun safety, and the laws. Another little fun fact about me that I probably haven't told yet, is that I'm a certified Probation Officer. I went to the Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) school when we lived in Idaho, and I had a lot of training on situational awareness, use of force, and things like that. I already know some of the laws and such, but taking this class will help me gain even more knowledge of the Montana laws.

Once I take this class, I'll have my Hunter's Education finished, and will be able to go apply for my concealed weapons permit. I'm really excited, and you can bet your ass that I'll be packing!


5 comments:

  1. You remind me of Sandra Bullocks character in The Blind Side. :o) When she's going to look for her son Michael, she runs into some shady dudes and says something like - I'm in a prayer ground with the DA, a member of the NRA, and I'm ALWAYS packing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting!! Can't wait for you to get it. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a braver woman than I am!!! I would be afraid I'd accidentally shoot my own toe off!!

    ReplyDelete