I know sometime in the past I've posted about how life in a small town is different from a lot of places, but I thought I would do another one to refresh everyone's minds. I've had a couple things happen in the past couple of weeks that just remind me how small of a place it actually is.
Are you ready for it?
This is our town of Culbertson. Yep, the whole thing in one picture. The new grain elevator is the tall building on the left, and it ends a little bit past the trees on the right side of the picture. All 1,000 people are right here in this picture. How many of you can get your whole town into one picture? I'm betting probably not a whole lot :)
There are things that I had to get used to when moving here, and some things just make me laugh...
1. I went to the credit union a couple weeks ago to get some cash. I walk in, the only customer, to the one person working. I give her my account number telling her I need a withdrawal. She gives me the money, without asking for my ID. I have it out and waiting for her but she says, "Oh I know who you are. I've seen you with Patrick before." Aaaand I had no clue who this woman was. She looked a little familiar, but wasn't ringing any bells. I get home and ask Patrick about her and it turns out I sat next to the woman at a high school basketball game once. This one took me a little by surprise if you can imagine.
2. Mail only gets delivered 3 times per week: Monday, Wednesday and Friday. And if you're on the other route, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.
3. I live 12 miles from the nearest town (Culbertson), 25 miles from Sidney, where I work, which has many other businesses.
4. Mail was once delivered to our PO Box with only our names and town on it. No address.
5. I am related to half of the new people that I meet...and they can usually tell me exactly how!
6. I am considered an "outsider." I once had a guy tell my husband (while I was standing right there) "I'm going to have to import one like you did, cause it seems I'm related to everybody else." NO, I'M NOT JOKING!
7. Driving 4 hours one way to Billings is considered a "day trip" to go to Costco.
8. Most bars are restaurants.
9. I have a land line. And no cell service. I turn off my cell phone every night.
I know there are a lot more things to share, but these are some pretty main ones. It seemed weird when I first moved here three and a half years ago, but now I just take them as normal!
Do you guys have any questions about my life here?? I'd be happy to answer them!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And on another note, today is my parent's 31st anniversary!!! HOLY COW! I am so lucky to have such great role models for my marriage, and I am constantly learning from them. Happy Anniversary to my amazing parents!!






Giggle!!!! I LOVE this post - reminds me of my hometown. I grew up on a farm outside a town of 800 people until I got married. Everyone knew everyone or could associate you with someone they knew! I kind of miss that...
ReplyDeleteThanks for another great post!
Happy anniversary to your parents.
Woah...I once found an old postcard with an address on the back. It had a lady's name and then the address was New York, NY. Can you believe it? At on time New York must have been as small as Culbertson. :o)
ReplyDeleteI love your life in a small town!
ReplyDeleteAnd cheers to your parents on 31 years!! What an accomplishment!
I know you have lived/have family in LA but, did you always live there? Where did you grow up & How did you & Patrick meet?
ReplyDeleteI love this list! Life seems so simple! (Maybe a little too simple at times?)
You live in a much smaller town than I do! My town is small but I think you have me beat! It has it's pros and cons.
ReplyDeleteLove love this post!!! I love learning about where people live. That sucks your mail is delivered 3 times!! I'm related to the whole town where I live!! So funny!!
ReplyDeleteHappy 31st to your parents that's so exciting and impressive. I love hearing about your little town. One day I want to live some place like that. I'm sure that some of it can be annoying, but I like the charming aspects!
ReplyDelete