Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Monday, September 10, 2012

Some Things I Know About Marriage

Although this is a little later than promised, it's still here! 

Patrick and I had our 4th Wedding Anniversary on August 30th. Instead of doing gifts or something big each year, in the odd years I plan the date, and on the even years he plans the date. They are usually surprises for the spouse who is not doing the planning.

This year Patrick told me to come home from work a little bit early. I got home at about 3 pm, and he said we had to drive a little ways before we got to our destination. I did have a small gift for him, which I gave him at this point. Have you seen those things on Pinterest for the date night popsicle sticks?


That's what I gave him. He wanted to pick his first one, so he did and it said "Beer Tasting". He says, "That's funny, we might be doing some of that later." I don't think anything of it and we leave the house. He tells me I have to close my eyes the whole way there. Basically I talk him out of it, because there are really only a couple main roads and I would know where we were going regardless if I had my eyes open or closed. We drive into Sidney (24 miles), then head out of town towards Glendive (50 miles). At Glendive, we get on the Interstate, and start driving. Once we get on the interstate I know there's probably only one place we're going to go. We get off of the Interstate at Wibaux (pronounces Wee-bow). It's a VERY small town, and I say, "We ARE going to the brewery!" because Wibaux is famous for their brewery. And for the movie Knockaround Guys, which was filmed there. 

We headed to a place called the Shamrock Bar and Grill, and had a great dinner of ribs, giant baked potatoes and a salad bar. It was delish! Next, we headed across the street to the Beaver Creek Brewery to taste some of their homemade beers.

Let's just say after one of the microbrews, I was pretty buzzed. We were so full from dinner and beer that we decided to head home, since it was almost a 2 hour drive. But before we left, we decided to take home a grolwer of their homemade root beer! It was so good!


And what does one do with a full growler of root beer?

Make root beer floats of course! This is why I don't look good in a bathing suit.


It was a great night, and I'm excited to do the rest of our date night popsicle sticks! I have one for every week of the year!

Getting serious now...

For those of you who are married, you know that it takes work. And anyone like my grandparents, aunts and uncles and parents, who have all been married over 30 years, it doesn't come easy! Every day you have to make a conscious effort. So for any of you who are newly married, getting married, thinking about it, or even been married longer than I have, I have some short pieces of advice. Some of them I've learned myself, others I have observed of other married couples, and others I have been taught by my parents or other couples:

1. Be their cheerleader. You are the one person that is supposed to support them in everything they do. If you disagree with something they would like to do, GENTLY bring up your concerns.

2. Be honest with them. Dishonesty gets you nowhere, and can hurt worse down the road.

3. Get off the couch and greet the other spouse when they get home from work or somewhere else. 

4. Tell them that you appreciate them, a lot. 

5. Make the time to go on dates with each other, no matter how busy you are. If we can do it, so can you!

6. Never talk down to them...especially in public or around their family. 

7. Simple: treat them as you would want to be treated.

8. Watch your tone, as well as the words you choose when arguing. 

9. Sometimes, you really just need to wait naked for them in bed. 

10. And speaking of the bedroom, surprise them once in awhile...it will keep them on their toes. And most likely your "honey do" list will get a lot shorter :)

11. Know that you both are a family unit now. Don't let each other's families decide what you should do, where you should go, or any other major decision in your lives. You two decide what's best for YOU.

12. You always love the other person. Even if sometimes you don't like them very much, you ALWAYS love them and need to let them know that.

13. Don't EVER let the "D" word be thrown around casually, or when you're arguing. NEVER.

14. The grass is never greener on the other side....it's greener where you water it. 

I could go on and on! Believe me, I know marriage takes work. Work and lots of patience. But it is absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, worth every waking moment :) Everybody now....Awwwwwww!


What are your relationship pieces of advice?


5 comments:

  1. You'd think after 10 years together, I'd have a little more advice, but I think you covered a lot of what I would have said! This is why you and Patrick will celebrate your 75th wedding anniversary someday! (That is, if an all-beef diet doesn't kill you first....) ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome date night!!! Happy belated anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The brewery looks like fun and I bet that taste amazing. He did a wonderful job
    Im loving the even and odd planing dates that is also a really good idea.
    Love your gift to him I think I need to try that aswell
    as far as number 9 I think my farmer would take somtimes for always lol but I like sometimes lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list about marriage! It does take work and work from both parties! My #1 favorite on your list is #11! I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great marriage advice. So good!! And I LOVE the popsicle stick gift idea. Adorable.

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete