Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Last of the Garden

We had the first frost of the fall a couple weeks ago, which means that my garden bit the dust. It wasn't too hard of a frost, and my flowers are actually still alive! It's kinda weird because last year it had snowed by now, and lately it's been in the mid 80's to 90 degrees! That's practically unheard of, and you better believe I've been riding with the top down on my convertible :)

Anywayyyyyysssss.....Here is the last of the produce I picked:

I got about 10 quarts of broccoli. I just cut it up into bite-size pieces and froze it.


Here is the second half of my carrots. I dug up half of them about a month ago to eat, and then the other half now. They keep as long as you leave them in the ground. I cleaned and peeled them, and will shred some,  dice up the others, then freeze all of it. I use it in homemade chicken noodle soup, fried rice, stir fry, carrot cake, muffins, you get the idea.


As for my pumpkins...get ready to be amazed! Last year I was super sad cause I only grew about 4 pumpkins and they only got about 3 pounds each. I don't know what I did differently this year, but I had a LEGIT pumpkin patch of my own!!! Behold:


This is my biggest pumpkin. It is about 20 pounds:


Hubs got out there and snipped all of the pumpkins off of the vines, and I loaded them onto the 4-wheeler to decorate around the front of the house.


All in all I think there were about 20 pumpkins. You can see that not all of them are completely ripe, but they change to orange once they're off of the vine for a couple days.

How cool is that??? I'm definitely going to be planting these again next year, and I think I'm gonna throw in some mini pumpkins too!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your carrots are beautiful! And your pumpkins are huge!!! You are really good at this 'growing stuff in the dirt' thing! I'm so excited to take Lex to a pumpkin patch and let her pick one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you need to enable your email on here. I wrote you a response to your comment and was about to send it before I realized you were a no-reply blogger!! Whoopsie!!

    Anyhoo, I thought about adding my mom to my list, but I figured people were probably tired of hearing about that. :o) Between her back surgery and cancer scare, I am definitely thankful she's doing so well!!! She's actually going to get to move back to India with my dad at the end of October. She'll have to come back at the holidays for tests and x-rays, but other than that, she is good to go! Prayers answered!! :o)

    ReplyDelete