This is gonna be a follow up to yesterday's post.
This morning when we got to the classroom, it was as if most of the class had the same idea, that we needed to do something about this mother who thought it was appropriate to breastfeed without a cover up, in front of the whole class. The group sitting next to her moved completely across the classroom and said they couldn't handle sitting next to the one year old for another day. Several others moved around, and we tried to leave seats at the back of the classroom open for her. Well, she was about 15 minutes late to class, and the only seat that happened to be left open, was another one, FRONT row, in the CENTER. And she breastfed her child right in front of everyone again, with nothing covered up.
It was apparent at our break in the morning that the classroom instructors wanted to do something about moving her to the back of the classroom. They tried finding the people sitting in the back row during the break to try and get them to switch seats with her, but couldn't find them. Fortunately during lunch, another group moved to the front of the classroom and she was able to sit in the back.
I said before that I am a great advocate of breast feeding. That's a wonderful thing for a mother to do. However, please be respectful of people around you that don't know you, and cover up. Better yet, don't bring your child do a learning academy. By the way, this academy is for a federal grant, paid for by federal dollars....aka your tax dollars. During group work, instead of doing what she's supposed to be doing, she chooses to walk around with her child around the classroom, or chase her child around the classroom.
It's just a really frustrating situation overall, but some of it has been remedied thanks to the instructors. This afternoon was better, and hopefully tomorrow will be better yet.
Ok....so tomorrow I'll hopefully be posting something cheerful and bright! Ha ha ha ha ha. I would love to put pictures or a video on here, but our internet here at the hotel is SO flippin slow I tried downloading a video and it said it would take 22 minutes. That's worse than my internet at home in the middle of nowhere! Until then, you'll just have to deal without :)
Happy Hump Day to you all tomorrow!




I am a big proponent of breastfeeding as well and I definitely think women should have the right to breastfeed wherever and whenever they want, covered or not. BUT, that doesn't mean it wouldn't make me uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure if anyone I wasn't very good friends with just popped out a boob and started feeding their kid, I wouldn't know whether to stare or not look at them at all. :o) I'm awkward like that. :o)
ReplyDeleteThe only reason I think it was inappropriate in this circumstance was because children really shouldn't be in places where other people are trying to learn. Being a mom, I know exactly how much of a distraction they can be! :o) But as far as breastfeeding in public, I think they should have the right. Okay, there's my two cents for the day. :o)