It's that time of year for us where we have to sell our calves. Hubs and FIL and grandpa are loading them up in the trailers today and driving them to the stockyards in town. They'll stay there overnight and be sold at auction tomorrow.
I'm sad to see the babies go, because I've been with them their whole lives! This the the first time that we've sold our own calves so it's a little bit harder. However, I know they'll be making us money and in the end, that's what it's all about. By the way, I don't know what all of you are paying per pound in the grocery stores for hamburger, but around here it's about $6 per pound. I can tell you, that's not our fault! We only get paid approximately $1.20 a pound when we sell them, so someone in the middle is charging WAAAAYYYYYY too much to process!
As a last hoo-rah, I'd like to post pictures today of all of the babies (well, they're about 600 pound babies now-not so little!)
And last but not least, Cheryl. She holds a special place in my heart since I helped save her life when I kept her from getting hypothermia. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she is one of the ones that FIL or grandpa kept (they keep about 10 replacement calves each year). I'm pullin' for ya Cheryl!
I'll miss all of them! But come late March, we'll have a whole new batch of babies!








I just wanna hold little Cheryl!!! What a sweet little face! I would be incredibly sad to see them all go.
ReplyDeleteI hardly ever buy beef, but I think it goes for about $3 a pound here. You are right though - in Montana some middle man is making a TON of $$!!!
Adios Mooooo-chachos! I'm sorry but I won't be seeing you on my plate anytime soon.
ReplyDeletelook at those faces!!!! they are too adorable. Must be hard to let them go. But at least they will make you some mooooolah...pun intended :)
ReplyDelete