Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My New Toy

If you've been reading here the last couple of weeks (or even remotely skimming), you will have read how I was taking a class so I could get my concealed weapons permit. Well folks, the day is here! I picked it up and this puppy is ALL MINE!


I had to block out all the stuff on there like, ya know...my address, DOB and signature. 

And no, I didn't smile in my picture. I felt like I needed to look mean in the picture, and I think I accomplished that! So, since I got my permit, guess what comes next?!?!?

THIS bad-assness is what comes next:





It's a Ruger SR9 9mm. It is a one-piece glass reinforced nylon, with an ambidextrous magazine latch, a trigger guard, a manual safety switch, a loaded chamber indicator, a striker status indicator, and an adjustable rear sight. It also came with an extra magazine (the thing that holds the bullets).

 Basically, I FREAKING LOVE IT.

I already went out and shot this bad boy, and it doesn't have too much kickback. It shoots beautifully, and I can't wait to go out and shoot it more! The salesperson tried to sell me a cute little pink gun. Ummm, gimme a break. This B is not shooting anything like that.

So why did I choose this gun? I've shot a couple other handguns...and wasn't in love with them. I shot a .22 handgun and it was just too little for me. I shot a .357 (the one in my header pic) and that definitely packed a punch. I also wanted a semi-automatic and not a revolver. I'm sure most of you have no clue what I'm talking about....

Anyways....I picked this gun because it felt good in my hands. I felt comfortable holding it and it just felt right.

A lot of people have asked...will I actually carry this thing every day? You betcha. On my person? Not every day, because I can't bring it into my office. But it's in my car every day, and as soon as I get a holster, it's going on my hip. Am I going to carry it in my purse? Nope. Too many other things in there with it, and I don't want the safety to accidentally get knocked into the off position, and the gun go off and shoot me in the shoulder or something. 

I am a BIG advocate of gun rights (as if you couldn't tell already), and am thinking about joining the NRA. Yep. I am also a big advocate of knowing the laws for carrying guns, how they differ from state to state, and which buildings you cannot bring them into (post office, schools, banks, credit unions, etc). I'll be brushing up on all of that as well. In most states there is a waiting period of 3 days to buy a firearm. That is in case of a domestic violence dispute, one spouse can't go buy a gun and take it home to shoot the other. Since I have my concealed weapons permit, I have no waiting period. I went in last Tuesday to buy this gun, and walked out of the store with it about half hour later. Awesome!

I am not a fan of people that don't know how to use their guns. I was talking to someone who has a friend who said, "I pack my gun everywhere now. To my kids' school, the post, office, running errands to the bank, everywhere." My friend was like, ummm...you can go to prison for that cause it's illegal. FYI. I'm not a fan of stupid gun owners that don't know what they're doing.. Most of the time, those are the people that don't know how to use them anyways.

So, to play devil's advocate a little bit....how do you all feel about guns??? Are you absolutely against them, do you love them like me, or do you have no problem with them, as long as you don't have to shoot one? I'm just curious to see what all of you think :)




7 comments:

  1. Jealous! I wanted that forever and a few years ago my father n law bought it for my husband for christmas....WHAT? Im the one who wanted it and how did he get it? Crazy to me but just like the marriage licience says...what his is mine! HaHa LOVE it and such a fun one to shoot.

    A big congrats on that permit Love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a LOT of fun to shoot! Not that much kickback for a gun that size, which I was surprised. We each have "our own" guns, but we pretty much share all of them that we have. What's yours is mine, baby!

      Delete
  2. Pink guns crack me up. They remind me of water guns. ;o)

    My thoughts on guns - don't LOVE them, but I co-exist with them. I think, at least living out here, it's important to know how to use one. But the thought of actually using one for something other than target practice makes me queasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think you're right Miss Sarah Kate :) If they are around, you should know how to safely and properly use them. It's the people that don't learn how to use them, and then try to use them, that scare me most! I mostly just use it for target practice, but I have shot a deer before and some other small birds and animals. Believe me, the thought of shooting another person doesn't exactly bring an overwhelming sense of joy for me either-and most likely I NEVER will. But just in case...I know how to protect myself :)

      Delete
  3. To be honest guns scare me because of all the devastation it can cause but I also understand most of the time guns are I the wrong hands. But in the right hands it's an instrument that is meant to be used to protect! Good luck with the new you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also agree with you :) They do cause a lot of devastation in the wrong hands. I wish there were more classes that people could and WOULD take to learn the safety of them, and learn to use them the right way. When used to protect you or to hunt properly, they can be great. When used for bad things...well, nothing good comes of that usually. I just know that I only have control over what I do, and know that not all gun owners are bad! Some of us are responsible :)

      Delete