Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

What Patrick Does For A Living

So not only is my husband a farmer/rancher, he also has a full time job. Fortunately he is his own boss, and his job helps out the family farm too. 

Remember when I posted this pic last year:


This is the truck and grain hauler we bought last year. 

It wasn't until Easter weekend that I drove with him for a whole day. I'm not sure if he enjoyed it or if I just annoyed the shit out of him....but I was there! I packed us a nice lunch and snacks and coffee. It was a fun idea but I think after about the 100th question I asked, he was ready for a break...so he just turned the music up really loud :)

So, this is what he does:

Goes to the grain bin site for whoever he's hauling for. In this case, it was for one of our neighbors. You can see in this pic the auger is going and the wheat is falling into the hauler.

 And here he is filling up the auger's gas tank. His loads are usually about 
1,000 bushels of wheat.

 When we're done loading we drove the 60-ish miles to the grain elevator.
You first have to drive into this scary little building where the scale is. At the
end of this building there's a probe where they take samples of wheat to see what 
the protein is. Standard protein is 14%. Any lower than that they dock you, but if it's
 higher you get more.





Once they weigh you, you drive through and around to the elevator. I couldn't
get pictures unloading cause it's a very tiny space and there's usually a long line, so no
standing around is allowed.


After you're done you drive back through the scale building to weigh again and see how much you weigh without the wheat loaded. You get your ticket, and drive back to the bin site to do it all over again!

If he's loaded in the morning and there aren't long lines at the grain elevator, he can usually get 3 loads in per day.

Having this for a job is great because he can make his own schedule, which allows him to help on the farm when he needs to. Oh, and he can take off work whenever :)

I would love to hear what everyone else's jobs are, or what their significant others do!

6 comments:

  1. Quit asking so many questions Jeez.... Jason always tells me i ask way to many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's kind of a badass - go Pat! I would answer your question but you already know the answer. :) miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great description of what your husband does!

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like he's having fun doing it too! My hubby works in the nuclear industry. Tis the reason he has to travel a bit. That's the sucky part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am an Engineer for a manufacturing company that builds recycling equipment(yawn)My husband does custom harvesting and works on a dairy farm for one job. Then his other job he is a tree climber/arborist and sometimes a heavy equipment operator. haha wouldn't want to get bored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hard working men!!!
    Nothing oar more attractive!

    ReplyDelete