Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Franch Lingo

In case you guys forgot, Franch stands for Farm/Ranch...I shall explain below. Anywho, there are a number of words that I had to learn to fit in out here. And I promise you if I say some of these things the wrong way I get rudely corrected.

Farm: You only raise crops
Ranch: You raise animals
Franch: You raise both crops and animals. (This isn't "technical" per se, just a term I came up with)
Dinner=Lunch
Supper=Dinner
Pickup=Truck
Truck=Semi-truck with 18 wheels
Duds=Farm clothes
Cows=Females
Bulls=Males with balls
Steer=Males without balls
Heifer=Female cow who has not had a calf yet
Calf=Baby cow, either male or female
Prolapse=When the cow is having her baby, her insides literally come out of her
Get the Chains=The calf is stuck inside the cow and you hook up chains to their feet to pull it out.
Straw=Leftover stalks from the wheat that get rolled up into bales to lay down for the cows to lay on
Alfalfa=Green plants with purple flowers that get rolled up into bales to feed in the winter
Hay=Grass that is cut and rolled into bales to feed in the winter

These are the most common words that needed to be explained to me. When I first moved here, all those things in the field that were fat and mooing were called cows. Welp, now they're not and need to be called by their proper terminology I guess. This is just the tip of the iceberg, so when I get more of these I'll share those with you as well. You can understand how I would be confused...SO many words and things to learn!

3 comments:

  1. I totally get this, when I moved from the US to Australia there were about 5billion of these things, and I'm still learning them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on the farm for 2.5 years now...even last night my husband and I started heatedly discussing WHY in the world I couldn't seem to understand some things! I just told him I understand them differently, and call them different things. It's really hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. I know NOTHING then. The whole prolapse and get the chains explanations are more than a little traumatizing. Eeek. I have GOT to come visit you one day and see what goes on on a real FRANCH. ;o)

    ReplyDelete