So, apparently when you borrow money from the government to farm, they want you to be responsible with it or something. I don't know...I wasn't really listening...by the way-did you know the government pays us to grow wheat? I find that rather awesome.
Anyways...I have to take a class about farming. Yes. A class about farming. Each Monday, starting today, through December 12th I have to spend 4 hours of my day learning about farming. In a classroom. That means I have to miss work for 4 hours of the day. Good thing my boss is awesome. Do you think they scheduled it at a good time? Nope. It should have been from either 8:00-12:00, or 1:00-5:00. Instead, they decided to just break it up and shit on my whole day. It goes from 10:00-12:00, and hour for lunch, then 1:00-3:00. So basically I get to work at 8, leave at 9:45,class from 10-12, come back at 12:15, leave at 12:45, class from 1-3, back to work at 3:15, and leave at 5. Super lame.
Topics that we cover include:
- Goals and Assessments
- Communicating about Estate Planning
- Family Business Issues
- Tools of Estate Planning
- Production Records
- Financial Analysis 1
- Crop and Livestock Marketing
- Risk Management
- Retirement Planning
- Taxation Issues
- Public Policy Issues (Farm and Ranch Programs) P.S. They should probably learn my "Franch" term. It's much easier.
- Crop and Livestock Production
1) Family Business Issues: This presentation will examine the interface between the family and business, especially the competition between the family and business, family business culture, commitment of family members, family roles and relationships, outside management assistance and process of leadership succession.
2) Goals and Assessments: This session will examine short and long-term goal setting and consider ways of measuring your progress to achieve these goals. (I think I've got this down: GOAL: Make money. PROGRESS: Did we lose money? No. BOOM. Progress.)
3) Taxation Issues: This session will introduce producers to important income tax considerations and tax planning.
4) Financial Analysis I: This presentation will focus on financial ratio analysis and information supplied to borrowers by the FSA (Farm Service Agency) in the farm planning system.
5) Crop and Livestock Marketing: This session will examine the use of options and futures markets and consider several marketing strategies. (Here's my strategy: Let cows eat a lot. Get them fat and big. Sell them for more because they weigh more. How's that for market strategy???)
6) Public Policy Issues: This session will examine crop and livestock insurance, CRC, LRP, ACRE and SURE Programs.
7) Livestock and Crop Production: This presentation will discuss livestock and crop production practices. (Livestock practices? Are we going to learn how cows get it on?)
8) Risk Management: The advanced workshop will focus on risk management programs offered by Risk Management Agency and others.
9) Communication About Estate Planning: This session will address property titles; dying without a will, who gets your property; wills; avoiding probate with POD designations; TOD registrations, and beneficiary deeds.
10) Crop Production: This session will cover important crop production considerations for Montana producers
11) Tools Estate Planning: This session will focus on federal estate and gift taxes (how to minimize), revocable living trusts, power of attorney and living wills.
12) Retirement Planning: This session will examine your personal retirement concerns, especially social security, individual savings accounts, use of land and other farm assets, and work during retirement.
In all seriousness though, I KNOW I'll be learning stuff from each of these classes. I'll keep you all updated on my progress! Wish me luck!




Am I really such a big weirdo that I would actually LIKE to take this class? ;o) It really sounds kind of fun and interesting. Haha! Want me to take it for you?!?
ReplyDeleteOh goodness! I bet there are some things you could learn in there that would apply to just a family dynamic in general, not just farming families!
ReplyDeleteick! Sounds like college for farming haha you would think they would consider the fact that you have a life and make the schedule more convenient! Don't forget to share all of your new farming knowledge with us ;)
ReplyDelete