Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Thursday, October 20, 2011

So You Want to Live in Montana...

Ok...So You Want to Live in Montana? is a video on Youtube. I guess it's going "viral" according to the Billings Gazette newspaper website. It's pretty funny, but more so if you've ever lived here or visited. I'll let you watch the video and then break it down for ya. Here ya go:




1) We DO have Starbucks in this state...probably about 10 of them...and that may be pushing it!

2) We DO have paved roads in the state. In my county however, the roads are paved in town, the 3 highways are paved (all 2 lane!) and there are about 6 or 7 county roads that are paved. The rest are all dirt.

3) We DO have vehicles, but there is a town I cover for work that you can often find horses tied out front at the local grocery store.

4)We DO have electricity! I mean, come on people.

5) We DO have mail services, not carrier pigeons :)

6) Not all of us live in log cabins

7) We have indoor plumbing, and the only places you'll find outhouses are in campgrounds, tailgates and large outdoor venues.

8) Not gonna lie, winters are HARSH! And it depends on where you live in the state. Western side isn't so bad. Bozeman (middle) is worse than that. There's A LOT of snow. And the Eastern side where I'm at now, it's downright miserable. The dirt road WILL be blocked by snow and you won't be able to get out! That happened SEVERAL times to me last winter!

9) We don't have avalanches where I live, but on the Western side with the big mountains there are avalanches all the time. Abominable Snowman though??? Hmmm....

10) Churning butter? No

11) Plowing a field? Yes

12) Going hunting and fishing? Yes

13) Making a bear skin rug? No

14) Chopping wood? Yes

15) Building a fire? Yes

16) Building a barn? Yes

17) Marrying a cousin??? WTF this isn't North Dakota...

18) Shoveling snow? Yes

19) Shoveling manure? Yes...just did that last weekend in fact...

20) Milking a cow? Yes

21) Milking a goat? No

22) Milking a kitty cat? Um, no

23) Restringing a banjo? Nope

24) Making moonshine? Haven't done it, but know people who do

25) Digging for gold? Yes

26) Killing drifters? Most definitely not

27) Putting junk under a porch? Yes, lol

28) Wrestling a dog? Yes

29) Cooking Pioneer Woman recipes? YES! Love her!

30) Throwing rocks at beavers? Probably have done it...

31) Buying ammunition? Yes

32) Riding a horse? Yes

33) Baking bread? Yes

34) Renting movies from 1987? Yes.can you say "Dirty Dancing" "Harry and the Hendersons" and "Overboard?"

35) Forming anti-government militias? Not personally, but that group lives in one of the counties I cover for work.

36) Sending smoke signals? Not for serious, but I've pretended to.

37) Eating venison? YES! I love it.

38) Going poop in the outhouse? Yes

39) Avoiding the Abominable Snowman? Sure?

40) Drinking whiskey by the gallon in a saloon? Haven't drank a gallon of it, but have drank whiskey in a saloon. But there's PLENTY of people who do that around here.

Soooo, as you can see most of these are accurate, LOL. Yes, life is most definitely different here, and even changing drastically from one side of the state to the other. Hope you all got as good of a laugh as I did out of this!

4 comments:

  1. LOLZ on number 17! Never been to Montana...glad to get those things cleared up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha! I'd take Arkansas over Montana anyday! (Maybe even if I had to marry my cousin. No wait, that wouldn't work. I only have female cousins and Arkansas is in the bible belt...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the land. I'll enjoy 32 and laugh about 17.

    ReplyDelete