Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ear Tags

Since the due date is drawing near, we needed to get our ear tags done!









The green ones are ours, the yellow ones are my Father in law's, and the orange ones are my husband's grandpa's. I decided that since I have good handwriting, and this is one of the things that I actually CAN do, this is my job. I enjoy it, and it's fairly easy.



I usually start out with one color at a time. The first number this year will always be a "2".  Last year's started with a 1 since it was 2011; this year's will start with a 2 since it's 2012). We use the last digit of the year on the tag, so we can tell how old a cow is when it gets older.


The next two numbers on the tag are just for the order they were born in. So the yellow "201" will be the first calf born for my father in law, "235" will be his 35th calf born, etc.



My FIL and grandpa have about 50 calves born to them each year, unless there are twins-which happens usually at least once per year. Right now, Patrick and I will have 13 calves born this year.

The next thing we have to keep track of is which calf belongs to which cow. It gets written down into a "little black book" and it stays in a bucket with all of the tags. I'll get a picture of this once we get out and start ear tagging the calves. Now, this little book is pretty much the center of the cow operation, so we can keep track of them. Problem is, my FIL has a tendency to put the book in his back pocket, and wash it. No kidding, it happened about 3 times last year! So I think I'm going to keep a separate book this spring, in case that happens again.

Here is our Jones kitty, trying out the ear tag. He wasn't a big fan.



I am SO SO SO excited for all of these babies to be born, I can't even explain it! I hope you all are ready for cute calvie picture overload, because it will be coming in the next couple of weeks! P.S. I'm REALLY hoping they have to pull a calf out with the chains so I can show that to you too. It's friggin CRAZY makin when that happens! But, that means that the cow is having difficulty, so as much as I'd like to show you that we have to keep our fingers crossed for healthy cows.

Get ready, these cows can start birthing any day now!

7 comments:

  1. Am I the only one that is crazy and thinks cows look so cute with their ear tags? it's like they have on earring. Can't wait to see the pic of the calves. They are always so adorable...I wish I could have one as a pet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, they are SO much fun! Once they learn how to walk, which is usually right away, they start prancing around. When they get a couple weeks old, they start chasing the other calves around the field and it is just the sweetest thing to watch! I'm going to try and get video of one of them taking its first steps. I have a very small window to do that, so wish me luck!

      Delete
  2. oh how exciting and so much work but it sounds like such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is A LOT of work! This was the easy part cause you get to sit and watch TV while you get it done. The hard part is when they start having their babies and you have to check on them every hour or two!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I can't wait!!! This will be so much fun to see all their sweet faces. We've had a couple born out here already. The farm across from us is 500 acres and there are bunches of cows on it. I just LOVE seeing them with their babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I am SO SO SO excited! One of the cutest things that cows do that is kind of like people, is that they have a cow "babysitter." There will be one cow surrounded by about 10-12 calves, while all of their mothers are off eating. When you come near the calves, the babysitter stands up and checks the situation out, and she'll start mooing looking for her calf, and calling the other moms over to get their babies. It's funny to see! I'll have to try and get a pic of that when it happens too!

      Delete
  4. Calving season is my favorite time! This post is very fimiliar to me and I am loving it. NOw if you could tell me the secret on how to keep the cow from getting them off I would have it made. Never fails every year we will have 2or 3 that mangages to get theirs off.
    I pulled my first calf last year and I thought that was something I could never do but I had no choice and once I jumped in it wasnt that bad.
    We have never had a cow with twins but hope to every year.
    Cant wait to see pics and post

    ReplyDelete