Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Monday, May 7, 2012

Book Review/Garden Update

A little random to do a book review and garden update, but that's how I spent my weekend so bear with me!

1) I was going to have my garden planted this weekend, but that just didn't happen. The weather wasn't cooperating very well! My coworker and her family (who are helping with it this year) were supposed to drive out and we would all get everything done on Saturday. The wind was blowing about 1,000 miles per hour and it was raining off and on, so they didn't come out. It wasn't as bad Saturday afternoon, so I did go out and get our corn planted. It takes up almost 1/4th of the garden. Last year I waited to plant the corn last, and didn't end up planting it because it was too much work. I wanted to make sure I got it in this year, so I started with that first! I had about 2,000 corn seeds and with everything I planted, I put about 1,500 of them in the ground. YEAH, that's a lot of corn!

What I'll do though, is wait until it starts coming up, and then thin out the plants. Should take 2-3 weeks to start seeing it pop out of the ground.

2) I started baking stuff for the farmer's market that we have in the fall. I made 4 big loaves of banana bread, wrapped them in foil, put in a large ziploc baggie, and froze them. I'll take them out as I need them in late summer to sell each week at the market.

3) Since the weather was crappy, there wasn't a whole lot of farm work or yard work to be done. So the perfect thing to do instead? READ! I read not one, but TWO books this weekend. The first:





My thoughts? Meh, it was ok. It was a nice story and an easy read. Would I rush out to buy it? Probably not. I think I got it for free on my Kindle, which is always nice.

The second:



This was a good one! I have read several blogs that say this has been one of their favorites they have recently read. I think because of that, I had extremely high expectations of it. It was good, but by no means phenomenal. It was a nice, different, love story than the usual (like Nora Roberts' book I read). It was also a fairly easy read. I did enjoy how it hopped back between the old man's life, and the story he was telling of his days in the circus, and I loved the ending! I would definitely recommend it and I am looking forward to seeing the movie!

The next couple of books on my list: Chelsea Chelsea, Bang Bang, Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me, the 50 Shades of Grey Series, and possible Lauren Conrad's books. MAYBE. I'll see about that last one.

What are some good books that you guys have read recently? I already read The Hunger Games trilogy-if you haven't...GET ON IT!

11 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a nice and relaxing weekend. I cant wait to hear all about your garden once you get to start on it.
    I love Banana Bread sounds delish. Wish I lived closer I would so purchase it.
    A book favorite of mine is by john Grisham called The Partner but I love his books. The Help was really good too. Also Pioneer Womans Heels to Tractor wheel always cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read The Help and Pioneer Woman's book too...I swear I thought PW was writing about my relationship with my husband! There are a lot of similarities! I'll have to look into the John Grisham book. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  2. My mouth is watering a little bit thinking about your corn. :o) I can't wait to see how big your garden grows!

    2 books in one weekend? I'm pretty jealous. I've managed to read 2 whole books this year and that's doing pretty good for me. Judging by those statistics, I'm probably not the one you should go to for book suggestions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really excited to see all that it produces this year too. I was looking around last night, and there's actually a lot of volunteer carrots and cantaloupe plants growing already! I don't want to pull them, but if I didn't that's all I would have.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read the Nora Roberts book.. but if it's free in the Kindle library, I may give it a shot! I didn't care for Water for Elephants.. I was too hyped up too, I think. I am reading the 50 shades trilogy now, and whoa. It's so much to take in, but I can't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people had said it was an amazing book, even comparing it to The Help. For me Water for Elephants didn't even come close! I just bought the 50 Shades Trilogy last night and can't WAIT to get started on it!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Nicole!! Sorry, I've been such a bad blogger friend!! I hope you are doing well!! I loved Water for Elephants!! Such a good book, and the movie is even better!

    I'm doing a post on Fifty Shades of Grey tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just put the Water for Elephants movie on my Netflix queue for my next DVD so I can't wait to watch it!

      I can't wait to see what you write about 50 Shades. Like I told Amber, I just bought it and can't wait to start it! I even brought my Kindle to work with me today to read on my lunch hour :)

      Delete
  5. I've been bad at reading books lately! Love Nora Roberts:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not to deter you, but I was not a fan of the Chelsea books...I got lost in her truth vs. fiction, and it just didn't keep me entertained...I read the Ellen Degeneres book after, and although it was a similar comedic style- it was MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you on the first two that I've read. It is hard to separate the truth vs. fiction. They tend to drag on a bit, with no real point it seems. All it is, is just a bunch of storytelling. Sounds like I'll have to read Ellen's book-thanks for the idea!

      Delete