Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

VLOG: Part 1

I've MISSED YOU all!!!! I've not missed taking the time to do a blog, but don't fret my lovelies, I've still been documenting our life on the farm. I had a lot lot lot of things to get done on my long weekend, and thankfully got most of them completed.

Since most of the babies have been born and have grown a bit, it's time for their next step in life. Talk to any spring-calving rancher in America about this time of year and they get all giddy...you know why?

 BRANDING SEASON!

We went up to our uncle's house this weekend to brand his calves...all 123 of them. So, in order to best show you what goes on, I took a video. Yes, it's my second official VLOG!

Here goes! (BTW, if you're in a public place this video has LOTS of loud mooing in it so you might want to turn it down or wear earphones).



First, the calf comes down the chute. They squeeze it onto the table with the big metal teeth so it can't move. They then tie the back leg back so it can't kick. And booooyyyy when it kicks you it HURTS. One person holds the rope so the calf can't move. Next, you can see Uncle Steve closest to the camera-he first cuts a notch in the ear-this helps identify whose the cow is if an eartag is lost or if for some reason you can't read the brand. Then you can see when Uncle Steve shoots it with two vaccine guns. One is so the cow doesn't get Black Leg-where it's legs get infected and rot off. The second is because it's going to be a dry year-they give them a vaccination against pneumonia. I know some people are against using these in beef, but I'd rather know that my beef is healthy and taken care of, not sick when it gets butchered for human consumption. But hey, that's just me. It gets 2 cc's of the Black Leg, and 1 cc of the pneumonia.

Next, since this one was a boy, we have to make sure it doesn't reproduce. We take small little bands that are the size of cheerios and stretch them out around their testicles. It pinches off all of the circulation, and they eventually fall off. It's mostly just uncomfortable for them, and doesn't seem to bother them.

Last, comes the branding. They take the smokin' hot irons and press them onto the upper right hip.

And that's basically it!

Come back tomorrow for VLOG: Part 2 to see what goes on after the branding!

3 comments:

  1. I loved watching this - cannot wait for Vlog #2!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the moo-ing cracked me up! It must be so loud in person, too! There is a ton of cattle across the street from us, but for the most part, they are pretty quiet. (Until they separate the mommas from the babies. You always know when that happens.)

    It was a little hard watching the calves get branded. They were crying! :o( I just want to give them kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right-it is SOOO loud! I even hear them in my sleep that night! The cows are usually really quiet, until you take their babies away :) It is hard, and I don't like it, but it has to be done! They have asked if I want to brand and I never have. I don't even give the shots! I just sit there and pet their head and spray disinfectant on open wounds if they need it. I leave the hard stuff up to the guys!

      Delete