Home About Me Good Eats Photography

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book Review: 50 Shades

So, I decided to jump on the erotic bandwagon and read the 50 Shades of Grey Trilogy. For those of you who have been living under a rock haven't heard of it, here is the description:


FIFTY SHADES OF GREY: When college student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating.  The unworldly Ana realizes she wants this man, and Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian’s secrets and explores her own desires.






FIFTY SHADES DARKER: Daunted by Christian’s dark secrets and singular tastes, Ana has broken off their relationship to start a new career. But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and while Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Ana is forced to make the most important decision of her life.



FIFTY SHADES FREED: Now, Ana and Christian have it all—love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of possibilities for their future. But Ana knows that loving her Fifty Shades will not be easy, and that being together will pose challenges that neither of them would anticipate. Just when it seems that their strength together will eclipse any obstacle, misfortune, malice, and fate conspire to turn Ana’s deepest fears into reality.

Ok...so my thoughts....HOLY SEX, BATMAN. If you are not okay with talking about sex, reading about sex, or even thinking 24/7 about sex, don't read this :) There were a LOT of sex scenes. But honestly, if you're used to reading erotic novels, these scenes were just okay. I've read others that were more detailed, if you know what I mean. 

The writing in the book was not the best. The author used A LOT of the same words over and over, which I did not enjoy. There were A LOT of sex scenes, some of them more uh...."intense" than others. If you're uncomfortable talking about S&M or any other kinky bedroom stuff, this books is NOT for you. 

The story though, I did enjoy. At the end, I really enjoyed seeing Christian evolve, and the whole kidnapping scene. It really did have a good story, I just wish the author would have made that part more present in the books. I would probably recommend this book, but definitely forewarn the person, so they know exactly what they're getting themselves into!

Now, I've heard this is going to be made into a movie. It will probably be rated X...so, who do I want to see play the characters?

Christian:

#1: Eric Winter....delicious
 
#2: Matt Bomer

#3: Chris Pine

Honestly...when I was reading the book I wasn't too worried about what Ana looked like...only my main man :)

But I will say one thing: If either Robert Pattinson or Kristen Stewart play either of these characters, I WILL FLIP SHIT and probably protest the movie. That would be REALLY lame.

DID YOU READ THE BOOKS? WHAT DID YOU THINK?!?!



I also read another book that I thought was REALLY great, but I'll do that review next week.

Don't forget to join me tomorrow for Flip On/Flip Off Friday!


8 comments:

  1. Okay..I'm currently in the second book now. A friend sent me all 3 books, and even though I've never read an erotic novel, I decided to try it out. And I don't like it. I feel like just when the story picks up, they're going at it again. Seriously...no one has that much sex. I don't care who you are. :o)

    But you're right about the writing. She does use the same words all the time, and there are so many grammatical and spelling errors throughout. I mean, did no one edit this before publishing? Sheesh. The only reason I continued on after the first book was because I can't stand not completing something I started. There's not a single person I'd recommend these books to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point-every time the story would pick up, they were going at it again! I wish there was more of a story. It had the potential, and in the 3rd book you'll see a little more. But I think that a lot of it could have been condensed down.

      Delete
  2. Thanks to you Nicole for getting me started on these books! I couldn't put it down. I love the thought of Eric Winter as Christian... YUMMY!! Good choice friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How crazy is this I downloaded the book on the farmers ipad on his kindle app and started reading it last night now know anything about the book except everyone is reading it and I thought if everyone is reading it then it must be like the Help everyone is reading it and when I did I fell in love with it. Ok so going in blind I was totally caught off guard and saying to myself omg omg omg but I couldnt quit reading it. I dont know how they are going to make a movie of that. Im totally wondering what Mr Grey looks like myself the hell with Ana lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally was the same way when I got to some of the scenes...I was talking to myself out loud saying, "Really?!?! OMG OMG!" I just hope it's not a trilogy when they do the movie...it would be hard to make these books each into their own movie, without it turning into a porno!

      Delete
  4. I obviously have been hearing a lot about the series (who hasn't) and would love to at least read one book in the series to check out all the hype but I still go to the good ol' library to get books to read and I'm currently #12 on the request list to get just the first book...

    P.S. I totally agree about the Robert Pattinson or Kristen Stewart thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ordered the whike series I know, judge me, go ahead! ;)

    I heard about all the sex,im so ok with that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, Matt Bomer was always who I pictured when I read them a few months ago. Delish!

    ReplyDelete