For the 4th of July, the family will be getting together to ride 4-wheelers on the sand bars in the river at our aunt and uncle's house, and just playing around in the water. Not sure if we'll have fireworks or not, but I'd be ok either way. (For those of you who don't know, fireworks are legal in Montana, unless a county or city have put a ban on them due to fire danger, which many have). Even better, is we're close to the reservation where you can buy illegal fireworks. I love America.
So when we have these large family get togethers, we each bring a dish. This year I'm bringing the Pioneer Woman's Pico de Gallo:
Ingredients:
Five plum (Roma) tomatoes (firm, not soft), 1/2 large or 1 small onion, 3 jalapeno peppers, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.Cut up tomatoes, onions and jalapeno, stir together. Add a bunch of diced cilantro, add to tomato mix. Add lime juice and salt to taste. Mix well! Serve with tortilla chips.
This stuff is SO good!
But the BEST....and SUPER secret recipe (well not actually, but it makes me feel more awesome saying that) is for my sister and I's famous POTATO SALAD!
I don't have a picture of this stuff, cause it usually doesn't last long enough to take a picture. Here's the thing...I don't really have an exact recipe and I just throw everything together. I'll estimate the best I can for you.
Super Secret Potato Salad
-5 lb bag of russett potatoes
-1 dozen large eggs, hard boiled
-1 lb bacon
-light mayo
-mustard
-salt
-pepper
Boil the potatoes until they are completely done. Peel eggs and dice into small pieces. Dice bacon into small pieces and fry. Drain on a paper towel. Peel and dice potatoes into bite size pieces. Add potatoes, eggs and bacon together. Throw in giant spoonfuls of mayo, and squirt a giant pile of mustard into the mix.Stir it around. If it's not creamy enough, then add more mayo. If you like the taste of mustard like me, then add more if it's not enough for you. Add in salt and pepper to taste (this will probably be quite a lot). Chill for a couple hours and then devour.
This is a rather large batch, I know. But this stuff goes fast, and makes great leftovers! I've met several people who don't like potato salad-including myself-that are now converted potato salad lovers because of this recipe. It's delish! And here's a hint: DO NOT use maple flavored bacon! It will make the whole salad taste like you've dumped maple syrup into it! And if you'd like to make the salad more creamy instead of chunky, add a little bit of milk.
I hope you enjoy your day off tomorrow my friends.
HAPPY AMERICA DAY!





You forgot the onions in the potato salad :)
ReplyDeleteNo way Jose! Only crazy people do that :)
ReplyDelete